Ocean City History Books

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ocean City History Books

Based on some recent posts, it's clear several of us share an interest in the history of Ocean City. Over the years I've collected several books on Ocean City history and thought I'd share a little about each one. If you have any OC history books or sources please share them too!

I'll post a few at a time, starting with books that relate to a topic and my older, more unusual books and then work towards the more well known titles that are readily available today.

Re: Ocean City History Books

Very nice idea! We met the most wonderful older man many times at the Wheels of Yesteryear museum on Rte. 50. He would walk through the museum with us and explain not only the cars on display , but also the history of Ocean City and talk about all the photos in the museum. He was the highlight of each visit. We never knew who he was, but he was delightful and we always made a point of going there when we're in OC just to see him. Although we haven't been there for a couple of years, we hope to get there this May. I understand there is a possibility that it is closing. Hopefully it will still be open when we go down.

Please post some more. I enjoyed your first installment.
    Ask an OC Insider

Comment

Awesome. Thanks
      Ken

Comment

Very cool! Thanks OCGuy.

Comment

I have been enjoying this thread so much. Thanks for sharing your treasures with us. Does anyone know if any of these books are available at the Lifesaving Museum? It would be nice to stop and get some of them while we're there.

Till then, I'll be impatiently waiting for the next installment!
          Ask an OC Insider

Comment

None of the books above are available at the LS museum. They are all out of print. Some of the ones I'll feature in upcoming installments are available there or at other places around town.

Thanks for the favorable comment.

Comment

Thanks very much OCGUY, these are fantastic. I'm going to do a search for Yesteryears and if I find it anywhere I will post it. What a great topic for this forum. Thanks again!

Comment

Great Job OCGuy!!!! Of the many topics we discuss in here. The history of OC is my favorite. It's kinda fun when I have a childhood memory that I previously thought was unique to me, only to find that alot of you guys share the same memories. Keep it up!!

Comment

Great Stories. Keep'em comin.

Comment

The story about the dead whale had me laughing out loud. I can just picture it. What I find interesting is that the most recent dead whale washed up in almost the same spot. I wonder why.
                    Ask an OC Insider

Comment

Did the dead whale wash up in front of Paul Reveres?

Comment

How did you come by all of these wonderful books? Just by chance? Or did you inherit them? I'd love to see some of the pictures in this latest addition if you could.
                        Ask an OC Insider

Comment

I've collected these books over the years from a variety of sources. I'm always on the lookout for ones I don't have. Most of the more unusual ones I bought on eBay, but a few were stumbled upon in used book stores. Most of the ones I have left to describe here are more common, although only a few are still readily available online or at the LSS Museum Gift Shop.

Here are some of the more unique pictures from the most recent book posted, A Century of Seashore Hospitality The History of Ocean City Maryland.

I've repeated the captions in case they are hard to read.

[img width=500 height=343]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2764/4489979988_b072d9daf9.jpg[/img]

Only a handful of hotels and cottages dotted the resort coastline during the late 1800s.

[img width=500 height=372]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4015/4489979942_1d2cb681ca.jpg[/img]

The resort's beach has gradually built up over the years, from several feet below the boardwalk (above) to just inches from the ocean walkway.

Despite what the caption above indicates and although sand has built up over the years, the boardwalk has been rebuilt several times. One of these rebuildings in the 1920s or 1930s lowered the boardwalk to beach level.

[img width=500 height=320]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4048/4489980010_a05cc16913.jpg[/img]

Sunday was a special time for strolling down the boardwalk in the best of attire many years ago.

Suits, ties, and hats! Imagine how hot that was, and usually no AC to go back to!

[img width=341 height=500]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4059/4489980064_6032427b81.jpg[/img]

After a day at sea, pound fishermen returned to the beach where a horse would pull the boat ashore. (above, top)

Pound boats, long sturdy crafts, were the first commercial fishing boats in the resort. The boats were moored n the beach. (above, bottom)

[img width=326 height=500]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4032/4489336051_002bea9b93.jpg[/img]

Thirteen year old Harry Tellum, Jr.. boated the first blue marlin here. The 350-pound fish was caught in August of 1941.

[img width=500 height=341]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2781/4489336071_e82d7bb0b9.jpg[/img]

In 1935, only a handful of men were needed to guard the beach here. Among the early crew were Harry Kelley (center of first row), now the mayor of Ocean City, and Robert Craig (second from left, back row) who now captains the 120-man force.

FYI, this book caries no copyright markings and is over 25 years old, so reproducing these images here should be okay. If there is an image owner who has an objection, please contact me.

Comment

I absolutely love reading all of your posts, but this one in particular. It's like a synopsis of Ocean City history. I really liked how prophetic the last paragraph is. Who could have predicted the Ocean City of today way back then?

Thanks again for sharing all of this with us. And please don't stop!!
                            Ask an OC Insider

Comment

Really interesting. The part about the whale is hilarious (and somewhat disturbing). When in doubt, use a stick of dynamite!

Comment

Working...
                              X