New Boardwalk coming beginning this fall = poll

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Boardwalk coming beginning this fall = poll

The city is planning a major renovation to the boardwalk beginning this fall and they are asking for everyone's opinion. To give yours, there is a poll with and explanation of the three choices that they are considering. Only takes a second to vote. It's everyone's OC so let your opinion be heard.

http://oceancitymd.gov/poll.html
    Ask an OC Insider

Re: New Boardwalk coming beginning this fall = poll

i like both concrete options.

Comment

Thanks for posting this. I'm more old school and would prefer all wood.
      Ken

Comment

I like option 1, all wood. I remember the south end when it was concrete before the 1999/2000 renovation. I like the wood much better.

Comment

has there ever been any thought to expand the boardwalk farther north than 28th street? What was/is the reason it was stopped at 28th?
          common sense is not so common

Comment

I voted for all wood, of the other two I like the stamped concrete the most. No matter what its made of I'll still be there for vacation though.

Comment

bar2008,

The boardwalk was extended northward for the last time by a couple of blocks to its current length after the 1962 Ash Wednesday Storm. It was on the master plan for years to extend to the DE line, but I believe that plan was eventually removed. It would be difficult to extend beyond its current 27th street northern terminus as there is little space between the western edge of the dune and the eastern edge of many of the property lines and buildings that are ocean front. Since the BW is "Atlantic Avenue," many ocean front OC properties, even those far north of the BW, have "Atlantic Avenue" addresses.

The south end of the BW was concrete from South Division Street to about North Division Street from 1955 until that concrete was replaced in late 1999 into early 2000. Forum user notimpressed of OCHH.net has some nice pictures of this renovation at http://www.flickr.com/photos/30087321@N05/4217795676/in/set-72157622952056549/ .

Comment

Did they ever entertain the idea of running a concrete sidewalk parallel to the boardwalk like they have at the south end to 4th street? Or do they feel it will take up too much of the beach up at the northern end of the boardwalk?

Comment

Originally posted by Britt4duke

Did they ever entertain the idea of running a concrete sidewalk parallel to the boardwalk like they have at the south end to 4th street? Or do they feel it will take up too much of the beach up at the northern end of the boardwalk?

Britt, I think that's why options 2 and 3 are being proposed. The beach gets too narrow to run a concrete lane next to the existing wooden boardwalk. The compromise would be to run a tram width concrete lane down the middle with wood on either side. I like option 2 the best. The smoothness for bike riders, roller bladers, and parents would be very much appreciated in my opinion. Never thought about until I had some kids, but have you ever tried pushing a stroller on a section of boardwalk that is few years old? The poor little ones get vibrated to death! Their juice cups almost get rattled right out of the cup holders. It's also a public safety concern with more and more higher rising condos and hotels being built along the boardwalk. It's my understanding that some of the newer fire equipment is getting too heavy for the existing wood structure.

Comment

Good point Mink. I originally opted for the stamped concrete, but the smooth concrete center lane would make sense with kids. My boys are 11 and 8 years old. So I haven't used a stroller since 2006. I forgot how those boards wreaked havoc on strollers!!

Comment

and wheelchairs too!
                      common sense is not so common

Comment

Looks like concrete is in the lead (60%) but I had to vote wood. Walking on wood is way better on the human body (knees & backs) and although some wood is in all 3 options, lets face it as crowded as it gets you know you'll be forced into the middle at some point.

Personally, I've always felt (like Britt) that running the concrete NEXT to the boards was the way to go... it would probably cost more, but you would give everyone the opportunity to walk on the boards without the danger of people (especially kids!) stepping in front of or between the trams - ALSO the trams would be able to run much more efficiently because they would not have to stop as much for pedestrians. I'm sure we've all been there where you sit there on the tram, and watch pedestrians walk on by and even pass you up, as you think to yourself "I could have saved the money and walked it in this length of time..." As far as the beach becoming to narrow - I don't believe this is a problem... I've never seen beach goers yet that have had their blankets backed up to the sea wall. Losing 20' of sand wouldn't be missed by anybody.

Comment

I agree Dean. I've never seen blankets backed up to the see wall either, but there have been times that I've seen kids throwing frisbees, footballs, flying kites, etc. and their play interfered with those people on blankets in the back of the pack. Taking away 8 to 10 feet of the beach to make a Tram lane would increase the frequency of this problem. Don't get me wrong, I still would rather see the parallel Tram lane, but I'm sure that is what one of the arguments against that plan.

Comment

I agree with Britt and Dean. I have a nerve problem in my legs and walking on the concrete puts me in bed. The wood is much more forgiving. I've only used the tram once when I was unable to walk from the Inlet to 23rd street after Sunfest. I would far prefer to walk the boards.

Comment

I suspect that even if there is sufficient space to the east of the seawall, that the tram lane can't be put there without creating other significant problems. The seawall was built in 1991 to protect the boardwalk and property west of it. It has been very effective. Putting concrete to the east of the seawall would create rubble that would further batter the seawall in a major storm. At the south end of the BW, the beach is wide enough that it provides a measure of protection, but before major storms the Public Works Department often builds large piles of sand between the BW and the Atlantic to offer some protection.

The seawall is not just a block of concrete on the sand. It goes down about 35 feet! A picture of its construction:

A picture of its effectiveness:

Both of these picts come from http://www.ocmuseum.org/index.php/site/oc-history_article/the_boardwalk_experience/

Consider this when thinking about the seawall. One reason the BW reconstruction is needed is because no storm has destroyed the boardwalk for the past 20 years. I believe it is the first time the boardwalk has ever gotten old enough to require a planned replacement. In the past replacement was necessary after the BW was ravaged by a storm. Several hurricanes in the early 1950s ultimately resulted in the concrete portion being installed at the south end in 1955. The 1962 storm resulted in the extension from 25th or 26th to 27th Street (see a pict of the 1962 damage in post 37 of this thread http://www.oceancity.com/content/forum/ocean-city-history-books). Damage from storms in the late 1970s (1978?) can be seen here: http://www.oceancity.com/content/forum/add-your-old-o-city-pics-here-other-special-pics).

Comment

Working...
                              X