Street Performers vs. City Hall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Street Performers vs. City Hall

Hap, Your first paragraph contains "If your wrong I'm going to tell you are wrong and if your feelings get hurt I can't help that" well it's obvious that when your right or you believe your in the right everyone else is wrong..your opinion is no longer falls under an opinion anymore...Haps opinions are the rarest of the rare..they are factual opinions..I have only heard of them but now i see they actually exist..you had no set prices when you sold t-shirts at GD concerts? but you had a minium price? that sounds like a set price to me..is Bobby pandering to the emotions of some on this board..me included..probably. Are you then pandering about your difficulty when you talk abou your Bills, your 2 homes, your taxes, and every single solitary headache that goes with it..and also your 60hrs per week? You lay out a description of how difficult life can be...that is exactly what Bobby was trying to describe to you and the rest of us..But Bobby not saying anything that is not true..I don't go to the boardwalk for the street performers...if I see one that good I'll stop..if not I keep walking. If you want them to work for tips that's fine...I never purchased something from a street performer and expected it for nothing anyway. If he wanted to charge a dollar per baloon art i probably would have tipped more than that..I think there is a segment in society that would take advantage of street performers and not pay anything at all..a relatively low set price at least keeps the rif raf away and those are the ones that cause the problems..The same set price you had when selling T-Shirts at the Dead concerts..I would imagine that the margins even for street performers are slim..if they are not there would be alot more street performers working the boards. When you consider that the population of this town can easily exceed 300,000..street performers are a extrememly small minority.

Comment

Well....After reading all the posts on this thread I figured I'd sleep on it and put my two cents into the mix...but after reading Haps post why should I? I agree wholeheartedly with Hap and lbo's comments. Bobby you have turned into a whiner IMO. Correct me if I am wrong but do the other "performers" (or are you a business now) see their time on the BW as a full time job that is capable of raising a family? I doubt it. Most do it for the exposure or the enjoyment first and foremost; IMO. I doubt that my favorite performer (the violin man) supports his family solely on the tips he gets on the BW. You and the other performers have chosen to do exactly what you are doing and now appear to want to change the rules of the game that have existed for a very long time (and to use the first amendment to do it is atrocious). Instead of blaming others (which does seem to be the new American way) look in the mirror and blame the person that got you exactly where you are. You decided to try and make a living making balloons and quit your job at the hotel; your choice and hopefully you can make it. But, to post a charge for your balloons is a turn-off to me and with that I must agree then you are in business and must follow ALL the rules and laws for being in business; you can't pick and choose those that satisfy just you.

And as for your statement above in post #9:

"There are other sides to this as well, for example my wife currently works for someone who leaves the country on a regular basis to maintain his citizenship where he lives, so he can stay tax exempt here in the US. Now, I have come to terms with the fact that I Don't have the same opportunities as other people being a white united states citizen, but that's ok, I will find a way to carve a path out on my own."

What a joke!! I too am a white American citizen and you and I have had the same oppurtunity as I see it. I found a way to carve my path and I am grateful what I have and when things weren't going as well as they could have I blamed no one else. I learned and changed what I could. PLEASE stop your whining and decide if you can make it it with the balloons; if not get a job.

Comment

If you made a logical argument I'd be more than happy to agree with you. If it makes you feel better I agree with everything you said. I could care less whether you agree with me. I'll still sleep just fine.

Here it is" if you want to be a "performer/artist" then be a performer and work for tips. If you want to be a "business" then be a grown up and take some responsibility and be a business. Right now they have one hand out asking for help and the other out saying f**k you. Make your choice, take some reponsibility for your life, and stop pissing and moaning about how tough life is. Stop playing the foreigners get all the breaks card and the at least I'm not on welfare trip. Be a man, suck up and do what you have to do to succeed. I could care less how tough life is for street performers. Been there, done that. Personally, at this point I wish they'd kick them off the Boards altogether and I've made that more than clear to the City Council. He made a choice by being a street performer/business/deadbeat/whatever. Nobody held a gun to his head. If you aren't satisfied hop off the pity pot and go do something else. But stop pissing and moaning to me about it and expect me to feel sorry for you.

Comment

As soon as they started claiming they had a "right" to be on the boardwalk, their entire argument fell apart in my eyes.
          Ken

Comment

As soon as they claimed they had a RIGHT to be on the Boardwalk and started flapping the Constitution around like a ragdoll they lost any and all support from me.

Comment

Can't we all just get along???

Comment

never had your support in the first place....you've made that perfectly clear through your treasure trove of posts. don't really care, if you don't want a balloon, keep walking, it's that simple. if you think I should do it for free...keep walking. in fact walk right off the boardwalk for all I care.
                Bobby Balloonz
                Ocean City's Fastest Balloon Artist

Comment

at least now I really know where the majority stands, that's a good thing
                  Bobby Balloonz
                  Ocean City's Fastest Balloon Artist

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyBalloonz

at least now I really know where the majority stands, that's a good thing
                    Please tell me how you concluded that and what the results are.

Comment

Originally posted by stahli

Can't we all just get along???
                      No! What a boring world we'd live in if we all got along.

Comment

Let's pop all the balloons......and bury this dead horse!!!! OC.com is running out of file space!!!

Comment

Really, does everyone here make it their personal mission to make sure that every single establishment that they frequent is abiding by every single rule?

Comment

And the personal attacks are very unbecomming.

Comment

I will say this is the most interesting thread in a long time...I can see both sides of this...have a moderate fee every year..or auction off the boardwalk sites in the spring for the street performers. Only the professionals and the ones who want to make a living at it would bid on it anyway. Then the true value of the space would be determined by the market..

Comment

Yes, it is interesting, but when the personal attacks start coming out, it gets very ugly. It's just unnecessary.

Comment

Working...
                                X