• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scoot Coupes

thanks for the pic terp.
    common sense is not so common

Comment

I know I wouldn't let my kids rent them even if I still had control of that decision. I trust them, but I don't trust the others that they would be amongst. They might be "in the right" but possibly dead right...no thanks.

Comment

Didn't you read this thread? They are perfectly safe.

I'm kidding of course.
        Ken

Comment

I think they should teach people to ride bikes and jog with the traffic as well as bikes stopping for red lights first.
          Ain't nothin' but somthin' to do.

Comment

I don;t think anyone said they were safe, but just as safe as bicyles and scooters.

Comment

I wouldn't say they seemed unsafe themselves. Just riding about in all the Coastal Hwy traffic seems way too risky. Gimme one of those and some open space and I would probably have a blast as long as there were no vehicles around to smash me up. They're just so small compared to other cars on the road.

Comment

4)Because I see it from them most often: Pennsylvania and Delaware drivers.....left lane FAST, right lane SLOW. If you want to go 10 mph under the speed limit get the hell out of the way.

Hap,

As a Pennsylvania resident, I agree that PA and DE drivers sometimes have no idea how to drive up and down Ocean Highway. I will spread the word up here in PA. But you need to spread the word down there that MD drivers are supposed to do the same thing on Rte. 50. I am amazed how every year I find myself following two MD drivers, side-by-side, driving the exact same MPH (usually 50 MPH), for 15 to 20 miles. Can the guy in the left lane please speed up for 100 yards to move into the right lane??? Or can the guy in the right lane slow down to let the guy over???? Nope. Let's just stay the same speed from OC to Easton.

Comment

I agree Britt. Thank god I'm from VIRGINIA where if you don;t go you get run over or spend 6 hours in traffic. Exactly, there is nothing better than a running roadblock for twenty miles. Alot of my family and alot of friends live in PA and they'll admit that they are clueless. I think they go so slow because every fricking road in Pennsylvania is under construction at the same time. I wish Virginia had as much money to spend on roads as Pennsylvania does.

Comment

Just another tourist trap! Drive along, get stuck behind a bus, cant get around, so you sit there ingesting fumes, get going, wait again now at a light, oh no another bus, hey isn't that the same bus as earlier must be because the fumes taste the same.........just so you can ride up and down a highway when you could walk, ride a bike, ride a bus, drive your car! I have rented bikes in Key West where I could go up and down all the little side streets, look at the houses, take in the island and its natural and ecentric beauty etc. We rented mopeds to take in the Tuscany Chianti olive groves and vineyards for mile and miles on our honeymoon! We would stop and taste olive oil, wine, ride in the sun on the country roads, stop and take pictures, spent an entire day! It was amazing! As many of you have had wonderful bike or moped excursions. Hey, bikes are great in Rehoboth too in the residential areas, but OC and mopeds or scooters just makes no sense to me! I would rather walk around Manhatten if I have to suck up fumes than ride a moped north and south in OC!

[img width=128 height=96]/userfiles/290.jpg[/img]

[img width=128 height=96]/userfiles/294.jpg[/img]

[img width=128 height=96]/userfiles/296.jpg[/img]

[img width=128 height=96]/userfiles/322.jpg[/img]
                    Tracey Hofman
                    Life is a Day at the Beach!

Comment

Is someone making you ride these thing in OC? If you don't like it don't do it. Another rant about nothing!

Comment

I wish it was that easy highball. And if these scoot coupes were just running into each other, then no one would be ranting. The problem is that they are running into vehicles, walkers, scooters, and bikers. I do like to use my vehicle and I walk when I am in OC, so it does affect me. I agree that no one should rant about them if they weren't hurting anyone else, but these things are real hazards. Have you seen them in action yet highball? When this issue first came up, I didn't think it was much of an issue either. But after visiting the beach and seeing them buzzing around and cutting in and out of traffic and off and on the sidewalks, I realized the potential dangers they present. Again, I don't think they should be banned, but they do need to find a way to regulate them.

Comment

Will these Scoot Coupes be "in season" during Endless Summer Cruisin'?

Comment

Britt, the issues you raise aren't with the safety of the scoot coupes it's with the stupidity of those driving them. Based on your argument OC would also have to ban bicycles, scooters, buses and AUTOMOBILES! There are inherent dangers with any form of transportation.

Comment

Hap,

I simply cannot follow your logic. Scooters and these little sport coupes travel at speeds up to 35 MPH. Show me a cyclist that can do that in OC. Also, the sport coupes are far shorter than scooters and bicycles hence putting them out of sight. Lastly, and what I feel is most important and would maintain that this is the primary cause of accidents, is that the scooter and sport coupe riders are traveling at speeds up to 35+ MPH down the bus lane during periods when the other lanes are jammed. In most cases, innocent drivers are trying to get into the right hand lane just to hit a rider rocking down the bus lane. This doesn't happen to bicyclists because they are going probably about 10 MPH and have plenty of time to react. Who's right or wrong isn't the debate.
                              Ken

Comment

Terp, I'm arguing for the sake of argument. I have no stake in this whatsoever. If I'm not mistaken you are a cyclist so your stake in this is much higher than mine. I drive through Old Towne Alexandria, VA every morning between 6 & 6:30. There are 3 lanes; 2 traffic and 1 Hov that opens at 7. Every morning I travel in the HOV lane to avoid the traffic in the 2 left lanes. It is perfectly legal. If someone who is stuck in traffic at a dead stop pulls into my lane (I'm going 35 and it happens damn near every morning) and I hit them, wo's fault is it? Certainly not mine. I'm obeying the law. If someone turns in front of a bus, scooter, motorcyle, bicycle, etc. who's fault is it? If a driver is stupid enough to make a right turn in front of someone without making sure they can then they are at fault. Why would you blame the vehicle? I worry far more about people on cell phones and texting than I do about these scooters.

Comment

Working...
                                X