Scoot Coupes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scoot Coupes

Hap, it appears you and I are not debating the same points. First, you cannot ride these scoot coupes outside of OC. They do not qualify as a scooter. Strings were pulled to make them legal. My issue is with this. You want to merely talk about fault and distracted driving while I want OC to follow the stringent guidelines pertatning to scooters. I've stated my position more than once but the responses do not address my point,

Brit, what I meant is your profile pic come up on the image search.
    Ken

Comment

Oh good Terp let's legislate something else. The local, state and federal governments have proven time and time again how good they are at that and who's interests they truly have at heart. I guess the point is: WHO CARES?? Most of the people on this Forum only spend one to two weeks a year in OC. I spend alot more and would far prefer the police and government turn their attention to truly pressing matters. They only operate 4-5 months a year so deal with it during 1-2 weeks. If someone is going to get worked up enough to let a scoot coupe ruin their vacation, they should probably stay at home anyway. Furthermore, do you really want to move these things into the travel lanes? You think you have accidents now, just imagine the fatalities when you do that.

Comment

HA HA!!

I just googled it Terp!!! That's kinda creepy!!! Funny though.....

Comment

Sorry Hap. You've missed my point.

As far as legislature, don't you think it's hypocritical to support OC for creating their own legistation to allow sport coupes. You can't ride these things around Alexandria can you?

Brit, I knew you'd enjoy that.
          Ken

Comment

Originally posted by terp84alum

As far as legislature, don't you think it's hypocritical to support OC for creating their own legistation to allow sport coupes. You can't ride these things around Alexandria can you?
            Bingo! finally, someone gets it.

You can't ride them in the same state Salisbury either, this is a state law right? Coastal Hwy is a State road, so it's a State law and not a local ordinance? Ocean City doesn't have jurisdiction over Coastal Hwy. Still curious as to what changed from last year and this year, why they were first outlawed and now ok.

The Maryland DMV recognizes and defines what is considered a moped and what is a scooter, scooters have a pass through frame and mopeds have pedals. Scoot Coupes fit neither criteria nor recognized by the DMV.

Comment

Finally.
              Ken

Comment

Terp, unfortunately OC didn't legislate scoot coupes the state did. Furthermore, OC only passed legislation that affects their operation on City streets. Same thing with Salisbury, Annapolis, and any other city in Maryl;and.

A new Maryland law letting Scoot Coupes drive on state roads in Ocean City is prompting the resort community’s Town Council to look at regulating the three-wheelers.

Gov. Martin O'Malley signed a Senate and House bill Tuesday that defines Scoot Coupes as "motorized passenger scooters" and gives them permission to operate on local highways and on any bicycle route not prohibited by the State Highway Administration, according to the Delmarva Daily Times.

City Solicitor Guy Ayres told the council that the town could not regulate use of the vehicles on state roads within Ocean City, including Coastal Highway, but they can impose rules on city roads.

Opponents of the new law say Scoot Coupes aren’t safe on many roads and will cause traffic jams and perhaps accidents, as well as forcing causing problems for buses because they are wider than typeical scooters.

"Now, buses are going to have to merge into the next lane to get around [Scoot Coupes]. I don't understand why our public highways are being allowed to turn into amusement parks," Reese Cropper III, president of Insurance Management Group, told the council.

Fun Cycles owner Peter Gikurias keeps six Scoot Coupes in stock to rent. He says they have safety belts, roll bars and flags on the back to make them more visible.

Council members plan to look into several options that could regulate the time of day the vehicles may be rented and possible rules for use on residential streets and others the town has jurisdiction over.

Therefore, your argument is moot. They are a legal form of transportation in Maryaland. The only argument you can make against these vehicles is based on safety. Do you really think the Maryland legislature should be spending it's time on this issue or on things like unemployment, education, etc.

Comment

The law was passed for OC regardless of what is in that article. You can't ride them here where I live or where you live. They have no place in OC and my guess is that there will be changes next year.
                  Ken

Comment

They tried to regulate something similar with city owned streets when OC wanted to mandate everyone use a helmet. "You need a helmet when riding a scooter on city owned streets but don't need to wear it on coastal Hwy." That proposal didn't work out to well because it wasn't practical and sounds like they are trying to do the same with scoot coupes. I still haven't heard what changed from last year to this year and why OC seems to be the only place in the entire state they are legal.

New law recognizing a "motorized passenger scooter"? Awesome, bring on the side car modifications! LOL

Comment

I challenge you to a duel: Beers (or in my case Diet Coke's) at Fishtale's over Labor Day.

Comment

Originally posted by lbo

They tried to regulate something similar with city owned streets when OC wanted to mandate everyone use a helmet. "You need a helmet when riding a scooter on city owned streets but don't need to wear it on coastal Hwy." That proposal didn't work out to well because it wasn't practical and sounds like they are trying to do the same with scoot coupes. I still haven't heard what changed from last year to this year and why OC seems to be the only place in the entire state they are legal.

New law recognizing a "motorized passenger scooter"? Awesome, bring on the side car modifications! LOL
                        Actually I thought I saw a couple of these side car scooter's in May!

Comment

Hap,

I'll be down for probably Wed or Thu to Sat for Bike Week. Are you planning to be around? We'll do Fish Tales for lunch.
                          Ken

Comment

I'll be down from Thursday, 9/1 thru Sept. 9. If you're around we'll definitely have to get together for lunch.

Comment

Bike week is the following week.
                              Ken

Comment

Working...
                              X