Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC smoke free in 2011?

http://www.mdcoastdispatch.com/article.php?cid=37&id=9379

In the article, they say they want feed back from the public.

I'm curious to see how our forum members feel on this subject. (I for one would support this 100%)

Re: OC smoke free in 2011?

I too, would support this 100 %
    common sense is not so common

Comment

I'm no fan of smoking but this is kind of ridiculous. Does anyone realize how hard and expensive this would be to enforce? I'm of the position that there are more importanting issues to address.
      Ken

Comment

I support it 100%. Nothing worse than some guy with a cigar plopping his beach chair 5 feet from your towel and lighting up.

Comment

Originally posted by terp84alum

Does anyone realize how hard and expensive this would be to enforce?

Well, I don't see how it would be any harder to enforce, then enforcing the ban on alcohol. Matter of fact I think it would be easier. As far as expensive - If you do it like Bethany it's $100 fine the 2nd time and $500 fine the 3rd, so in fact this would generate money for the town.

Comment

I'm not a smoker, never have been. And I was more than happy when they passed laws keeping smoke out of restaurants. But I think that there comes a point when passing laws because something ticks one or two people off becomes ridiculous. These are minor things right now. Soon it will be bigger things. And more rights will be lost. WE've lost sight of what things are worth arguing about and passing laws about. Cigarettes on a beach shouldn't be such a big deal. Do I like stepping on a cigarette butt in the sand, or smelling someone's cigar? No. But I don't like stepping in someone's dog's poop even more. But they don't enforce that law either. It's just silly to even waste money to try and enforce it. Who's going to do it? The lifeguards? I don't want my lifeguard distracted by a smoker when my child is in the ocean. 10 miles of beach is an awful big area to try and find the 100 or so smokers.
            Ask an OC Insider

Comment

zo6rl..i would give 100 thumbs up if i could........and no ...i don't smoke.

Comment

Originally posted by Z06RL

I'm not a smoker, never have been. And I was more than happy when they passed laws keeping smoke out of restaurants. But I think that there comes a point when passing laws because something ticks one or two people off becomes ridiculous. These are minor things right now. Soon it will be bigger things. And more rights will be lost. WE've lost sight of what things are worth arguing about and passing laws about. Cigarettes on a beach shouldn't be such a big deal. Do I like stepping on a cigarette butt in the sand, or smelling someone's cigar? No. But I don't like stepping in someone's dog's poop even more. But they don't enforce that law either. It's just silly to even waste money to try and enforce it. Who's going to do it? The lifeguards? I don't want my lifeguard distracted by a smoker when my child is in the ocean. 10 miles of beach is an awful big area to try and find the 100 or so smokers.

What she said.

For the record, I don't smoke either and I have asthma. The only thing I agree with the reactionary Mr. Fox in the article is this "In addition, the cigarette butts on the beach and Boardwalk make Ocean City a big dirty ash tray." But so does the all the other trash from souveneir shops, straw papers from the various food and drink stands, etc... Basically, our fellow human beings are just pigs.

Comment

I'm also a life long non-smoker, but smokers do have rights.

What scares me is they're talking about banning smoking on the Boardwalk. With the amount of bars (in which you're no longer allowed to smoke) on the Boardwalk, that would be impossible. People who frequent the bars need to have a place to smoke. Are they going to have to walk to Baltimore Ave?

As for the beach. I will admit, it's frustrating when you set up a nice spot, then a person settles in front of you who decide to light up and the breeze blows the smoke right in your face. I actually wouldn't mind a beach smoking ban. But the Boardwalk is too far.

Comment

Originally posted by Z06RL

Hit the nail right on the head Z06RL!!! I'm not a smoker either BTW.

Comment

LOL... I guess I'm just being greedy, because see I 'd like my kids to be watched in the ocean AND when they get out be able to sit on the beach without breathing in cigarette smoke. Why can't I have both?

I love sitting on the beach smelling the salt air, and all it takes is one person with a cigar or cigarette to ruin that part of the experience... I really wouldn't even mind if they smoked as long as they'd put the LIT end in their mouths!

BTW (and I'm all about rights - matter of fact I'm a 2nd amendment advocate) Since when did polluting the air around you and others become a right? AND if it is a "right" where do these peoples rights end and mine begin?? How does their right to contaminate the air suppress my right to breathe clean air??? I mean is the lack of smoke in the air bothersome to some people???? - sorry, this is one of those things in life that no matter how you explain it to me I'll never get it, so to all you smokers out there waiting to enlighten me - Save your breath (pun intended) because you won't be able to change my mind.

Comment

Do you really in your heart of hearts believe that what you are breathing is CLEAN air? Seriously? I once heard an addage that seems to fit here.

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." lol

I think cigarettes would be the least of my worries about what's on the boardwalk floor. Just think about it. Men (and probably some women) chew and spit. Or just spit. Bird droppings. Sodas and all manner of food and drinks. And maybe even some body fluids. What really grossed me out to the point of nearly tossing my cookies was when I saw a young man in his early 20's walking BAREFOOT on the boards and then into a PUBLIC RESTROOM!!

I mean, COME ON BUDDY! YUK!
                        Ask an OC Insider

Comment

and to this I say, get a life. There are so many other things that are so much more important. CRIME, for one! People are allowed to smoke! It is not an illegal practice. I DO NOT SMOKE, but respect the rights of others. This is just ridiculous. And furthermore, OC WILL LOSE revenue if this becomes law! Pick and choose your battles carefully!

Yes, there are pigs who dump their butts in the ocean and the sand, however, I don't think it is the norm. They are no different than people sitting next to you w/ loud music and leave their trash behind. The air is already polluted, sorry to let you all know that.

Get a life! let this alone and deal w/ the more important issues at hand!

Comment

Umm.... So if I have difference of opinon from yours I'm an idiot eh?

yea if I'm breathing air and all of a sudden it's filled with combustion vapors I'd say it was cleaner before the smoke. Hard for you to understand I guess... I remember having this same discussion on here a couple of years ago before they banned smoking in the restaurants in OC.... back then some REAL idiots argued w/me that this would never happen in Ocean City MD. Some even went as far to tell me the tobaco co.s controled the south and would never allow such a thing - and look where we are now.

Still others said this would hurt tourism to OC... dosen't look like that happen either.

I would also like for someone to show me a vacation spot some where- anywhere that smoking bans have hurt business? Wait let me guess, amusment parks maybe right?? Yea I'll bet those "idiots" at Disney are really kicking themselves these days....

Comment

Interestingly, I saw on the news just last night that second-hand smoke is even more harmful that doctors and experts once thought. I may be an idiot, but I am an idiot what does not want to get cancer, bronchitis, or asthma because the person next to me is exercising his rights by blowing carcinogens in my face. I love the ban on smoking in restaurants, and I love the idea of the beach ban. As for enforcement, the Bethany police report that it has not been at all difficult. When someone lights up, an entire beach of people can and will smell it, and someone in that crowd will almost always say something. At that point, the smoker will have the option of ignoring the masses and risking having the police called and getting a fine, or putting out the cigarette. I think 98% of people will go with option 1, and the police can handle those few who decide to make a scene.

Comment

Working...
                              X