College Weekend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Weekend

Apparently, this past weekend was a college weekend in Ocean City. Does anybody have any information on this? I wasn't sure which college it was, but I noticed a lot of unruly behavior on the beach and Boardwalk downtown over the weekend.

http://www.mdcoastdispatch.com/2016/...crowds-gather/

Should I add this weekend to Senior Week and H20i as times to avoid going to Ocean City?

No, not a college weekend. It was an organized Black Lives Matter melee. People were bused into town and late Friday night into Saturday morning and Saturday night into Sunday morning, it was bad. I noticed Friday night how many people were gathered on the boardwalk and how the crowd grew and grew and grew in the area of 9th and 10th St. I was watching on the Backshore Brew live camera which is located just above eye level on the boards. Friday night they were loud, riding hoverboards, skateboards, and dancing in that area until very late and the police rode their bikes through, or drove their vehicles through the crowds, but did not break them up or confront them. I happen to be one of those people who is up all night most nights, and at 4:30 a.m. they were still playing football on the boardwalk. Late Saturday night, they gathered again. The tram shut down at 8. State Police were on the boardwalk and I guess things got stirred up. It could have been so much worse. These people are just out trying to push buttons, push police into reactions, and then get on the news and internet. Ridiculous. Ocean City's police and the State Police did an excellent job keeping the peace and handling the crowds. BUT the city has been harmed. People who were staying in those areas reportedly left OC in the middle of the night out of fear. But I will say that Sunday night was back to OC's calm, quiet self again.
    Ask an OC Insider

Comment

Originally posted by Z06RL View Post
      No, not a college weekend. It was an organized Black Lives Matter melee. People were bused into town and late Friday night into Saturday morning and Saturday night into Sunday morning, it was bad. I noticed Friday night how many people were gathered on the boardwalk and how the crowd grew and grew and grew in the area of 9th and 10th St. I was watching on the Backshore Brew live camera which is located just above eye level on the boards. Friday night they were loud, riding hoverboards, skateboards, and dancing in that area until very late and the police rode their bikes through, or drove their vehicles through the crowds, but did not break them up or confront them. I happen to be one of those people who is up all night most nights, and at 4:30 a.m. they were still playing football on the boardwalk. Late Saturday night, they gathered again. The tram shut down at 8. State Police were on the boardwalk and I guess things got stirred up. It could have been so much worse. These people are just out trying to push buttons, push police into reactions, and then get on the news and internet. Ridiculous. Ocean City's police and the State Police did an excellent job keeping the peace and handling the crowds. BUT the city has been harmed. People who were staying in those areas reportedly left OC in the middle of the night out of fear. But I will say that Sunday night was back to OC's calm, quiet self again.
      We were on northern part of the Boardwalk on Friday evening, and we noticed the gathering around 9th or so.

When we went out Saturday night, we went no further north than Fisher's. Seemed like they wanted to stay where it wasn't quite as crowded.

I'm glad to hear the local police did a good job keeping things in check, or things could've gotten out of hand.

Comment

Welcome to Obama's America.

http://www.wcbm.com/2016/07/25/thugs...-md-boardwalk/
        Ken

Comment

Originally posted by terp84alum View Post
          I'm glad to see a media source that's not afraid to call them "thugs" instead of "protesters."

Comment

Protestors don't throw bottles at and assault law enforcement officers. Or is that considered protesting in your mind?
            Ken

Comment

Protestors don't throw bottles at and assault law enforcement officers.
              Nope, but that's what the local media in Baltimore were calling the rioters last April.

Comment

I think I misunderstood you. I agree with the media calling them what they are. Yes, Baltimore's Stephanie Rawlings-Blakeis quite the piece of work.
                Ken

Comment

I think I misunderstood you. I agree with the media calling them what they are. Yes, Baltimore's Stephanie Rawlings-Blakeis quite the piece of work.
                  It's all good.

Yep, she's one of the reasons I'm moving out of Baltimore City. I'd move to the Eastern Shore if I could.

Comment

Well, here's hoping they're not going to make this a weekly weekend thing.
                    Ask an OC Insider

Comment

Ah yes, let's harass people while they are on vacation...some of them, their only vacation for the entire year. SMH. For the record, I'm referring to the BLM group.

Comment

This is the most recent article on this weekend's unpleasantness from The Dispatch

http://www.mdcoastdispatch.com/2016/...weekend-event/

Considering this "College Beach Weekend" social media group has a history of being agitators, it seems like "College Beach Weekend" is a front.

Comment

We were on the boardwalk early Saturday morning for a breakfast at the Dough Roller and some arcade time. In 36 years of coming to OC, I have NEVER seen so much trash all over the boardwalk, actual garbage blowing everywhere. There was a police presence unlike anything I've ever seen, especially at 9:00 am. My family kept commenting on it as we walked. After seeing the reports, no wonder it was there. Either these thugs littered up the place the night before or the crews couldn't get in the clean it up due to the melee. These BLM are not typical OC vacationers. It's a shame I have to think twice to take my 2 and 4 year old little girls on the BW. Too bad MD does not have concealed carry reciprocity with PA. I would feel much safer. Agitators of the police have no place in family friendly OC...or anywhere in this country.

Comment

Originally posted by seagirl View Post
                            We were on the boardwalk early Saturday morning for a breakfast at the Dough Roller and some arcade time. In 36 years of coming to OC, I have NEVER seen so much trash all over the boardwalk, actual garbage blowing everywhere. There was a police presence unlike anything I've ever seen, especially at 9:00 am. My family kept commenting on it as we walked. After seeing the reports, no wonder it was there. Either these thugs littered up the place the night before or the crews couldn't get in the clean it up due to the melee. These BLM are not typical OC vacationers. It's a shame I have to think twice to take my 2 and 4 year old little girls on the BW. Too bad MD does not have concealed carry reciprocity with PA. I would feel much safer. Agitators of the police have no place in family friendly OC...or anywhere in this country.
                            When we were on the Boardwalk Friday night, there was a large gathering around 11th St or so. It really felt like something was about to happen. In over 30 years of going on the Boardwalk, I've seen all kinds of people age, sex, race, religion, etc, and this was the only time I've ever felt uneasy or uncomfortable on the Boardwalk in Ocean City.

We stayed on the south end where it remains crowded on Saturday night.

This same group threatened a takeover two summers ago, and OC put it to rest. I hope they keep a watchful eye on social media in the future.

My niece just turned five, and she adores the Boardwalk. I want her to have the same great memories of summer nights on the Boardwalk that I have. Not this.

Comment

It WAS the College Weekend Takeover crowd that threatened to show up a couple years ago. This time they stayed under the radar and caught the police off guard. It had nothing to do with the Black Lives Matter movement. People chanted that saying as police were breaking up the scene, but it was not a BLM protest.

I am not of the "political correct" mindset but calling it "Obama's America" shows ignorance and perpetuates the hatred and racism even more. As far as I know anyone on this forum would gladly welcome Obama and his family to walk down our boardwalk at anytime. These people don't represent Obama....just like Trump doesn't represent all white people. An apology should be issued.

BTW.....this shouldn't matter but I am white and I AM NOT a Democrat.

Comment

Working...
                              X