homeless on Caroline street...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Important City Ordinances to Note

In Ocean City, we take laws related to alcohol consumption very seriously. Drinking alcoholic beverages in public is prohibited. This includes on any street, avenue, alleyway, sidewalk, beach, parking lot and vehicle in any of these areas. Possessing an open container of any alcoholic beverage in public is not allowed.

Sleeping in any motor vehicle within the city limits of Ocean City is prohibited. Sleeping on the beach also is not allowed between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.

This is from http://ococean.com/explore-oc/town-ordinances/

Now it doesn't specifically say you can't sleep on the street, but I would assume that is implied. If my family of five intended to sleep in my Yukon for an extra night before we check in you think the local PD will honor my right? What if I enjoy my adult beverage or drugs since I don't have a room and don't want to spend money in a restaurant? Yet this people are sleeping in and using boardwalk rest rooms like hotel rooms without being forced out.

Comment

brianpa.....it is against the law....for both homeless and "real people". If the police don't enforce these laws then that's a problem, but they do.....over and over. I know for a fact that if the police see these people drinking, doing drugs or sleeping overnight they treat them the same way as you and I. They just keep coming back. They feel like they have no alternative and have nothing to lose. Many of them suffer from mental illnesses. The previous post that I replied to insinuated that the homeless have more "rights". They don't.

Personally I thank God that I am not in the same position as the homeless. Something needs to be done but the "woe is us" attitude will get us nowhere. Save the "bleeding heart liberal" comment because you don't know me. Like I said, something has to be done but I don't have the answers.

Comment

Originally posted by EllAnn View Post
        Thanks for that link, Jozo. The trouble with this problem is that there are so many legal issues. The homeless have so many legal rights, & it seems like the residents & tourists don't have as many. Organizations such as the ACLU are more than willing to step in & defend the rights of those individuals, their lawyers are trained in every aspect of blocking laws, or enforcement of laws, that might interfere with the rights of homeless people. Even when those rights affect the safety of others. I do hope that this problem can be solved, but I have a feeling that it's going to take a lot of work, & money.
        Your post is 100% correct and my BP always spikes a few points when the ACLU is involved (the C is for Criminal and the L for Losers).

I agree that we all have the same rights, however, public drunkenness, urination/defecation, annexing the public benches, so that folks are unable (or do not want to) sit there for the designed purpose of taking a load off your feet for a few minutes and enjoy your Thrasher's french fries.

Also, taking over the restrooms, so they are unusable, these people are constantly sleeping on the sinks.

Harassment: The constant badgering and annoying of passers-by, most of whom are tourists patronizing the local economy that may not return.

All these are addressable issues and there's more where that came from.

Rather than bashing our heads together (I'm still looking for brianpa's ""bleeding heart liberal" quote; haven't found it yet), let's kick around solutions. The addition of armrests to prevent sleeping on the benches is a start, but in the long run, just a minor band-aid.

My suggestion to City council, and you may want to reiterate this if you contact them online, is to see what other beaches are doing about this problem. Virginia Beach, Myrtle Beach, etc., I have heard do not have this problem. Actually, it doesn't have to be a beach, any inland town may have quality suggestions on how to squelch this issue before it gets out of hand.

Comment

Jozo....aren't you clever? Yea for Jozo!!! My "bleeding heart liberal" comment wasn't necessarily for brianpa. It was to keep people like yourself from accusing me of that.

BTW....just to educate you the C stands for Civil and the L stands for Liberties.....however I suspect neither word means much to you. And if the mention of ACLU gets your blood pressure up you may want to get a physical. I may not agree much with the ACLU but I don't let them get my BP up. Take a pill!!

Comment

Originally posted by DeMan View Post
            "The homeless have so many legal rights, & it seems like the residents & tourists don't have as many."

Please name one legal right extended to the homeless that is not extended to you. I agree it is a problem that needs to be dealt with but homeless people have no more legal rights than the rest of us do. Some of us just don't agree with those rights.
            I didn't say that the homeless have more rights than residents & tourists. I said that it SEEMS like they do!

Comment

I didn't say that the homeless have more rights than residents & tourists. I said that it SEEMS like they do!
              Uh....yea....I believe I put that in quotes. Maybe if I yelled in CAPS and used colorful language you would understand. Relax....you made your views known, don't back down now.

Comment

Originally posted by DeMan View Post
                Jozo....aren't you clever? Yea for Jozo!!! My "bleeding heart liberal" comment wasn't necessarily for brianpa. It was to keep people like yourself from accusing me of that.

BTW....just to educate you the C stands for Civil and the L stands for Liberties.....however I suspect neither word means much to you. And if the mention of ACLU gets your blood pressure up you may want to get a physical. I may not agree much with the ACLU but I don't let them get my BP up. Take a pill!!
                Wow, DeMan, that's quite the white-knuckled diatribe. A bit paranoid on the hypersensitive BHL proactive defense, there? You must get that on a regular basis, and my BP is actually on the low side, so you may need that pill for yourself, Snow White. . And I suppose I should have more respect for the ACLU; after all, without them, there'd be no one to defend a child molester that wasn't read his Miranda Rights. Or to secure the rights of an incoming undocumented drug cartel constituent to abuse the "catch and release" ambiguity. But back to the topic at hand (if you can fathom that, since many of your posts prove to be caustic, inflammatory and contribute nothing to the substance of the thread).

Not mentioned and considered here are boardwalk business owners, whose livelihood depends on the atmosphere of the space bordering their establishments. The recent busker ruling, which will generate crowd-control problems, will also impact the tone of storefront areas. A fairly potent one- two punch if these issues aren't resolved. These small business owners pay rent, take risks, and most importantly, pay taxes, without which the city cannot function.

At the bottom of this link, there's a disturbing contribution from someone who used to help the homeless contingent here and has given up on them. I didn't know that one of them caused the church fire. Note that they can make hundreds a day panhandling and therefore won't work and are quite content to clutter up the comfort station She has had it with these problematic leeches.

https://mdcoastdispatch.com/2018/05/...k-may-11-2018/

If there were some way to stop people from given them handouts, that would help solve the problem, and also help thin out the buskers. Tall order, though, as there will always be oblivious folks who choose to patronize them instead of legitimate merchants.

.And FYI, Forrest; the BP witticism was tongue in cheek. Assume it's safe to say that registered with the majority of viewers.

Comment

Jozo,

And remember that the money collected by those homeless & the buskers is most likely not reported as income to the IRS or the appropriate state or local taxing agencies.
                  Last edited by EllAnn; 05-13-2018, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Jozo,

And remember that the money collected by those homeless & the buskers is most likely not reported as income to the IRS or the appropriate state or local taxing agencies.
                    Quality point there. Good friend of mine works for the IRS and does audits, etc. May have to let him loose on an "audit the buskers" quest:

Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms out there

Comment

Jozo.....I'm sure your reply was really clever but to be honest....I didn't read all of it. You bore me. Now that Mother's Day is over you and your recent partner Ellie Mae have nothing in your lives to look forward to for a whole year.

In the words of your hero.....SAD!!!

Comment

Video of Town Council discussion of Comfort Station retrofitting & other plans to address the issue. Starts at 53:21:

http://oceancitymd.iqm2.com/Citizens...leFormat=mpeg4

Comment

Working...
                        X