Relocating to Eastern Shore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relocating to Eastern Shore

We are possibly moving to the Eastern Shore to be closer to my wife's sister and family so they can enjoy some time with our kids, as well as a simpler lifestyle. I am looking for input on areas and schools that are good and which ones to avoid. Things I am mostly interested in are school quality and extracurricular kids activities for kids 7-10 years old. They play lots of sports so looking for a good Rec & Parks system. Seems Salisbury may be best for that. Also, I hear some high schools do NOT have enough kids to field high school sports teams and just wondering if that's true. Besides OC and Salisbury, I have seen a few nice homes in Pocomoke/Westover/Eden areas, so would love input on that area. Thanks in advance.

Just my opinion but the farther from the beaches, the better the environment for raising a family.
    Ken

Comment

I would investigate Salisbury very hard before moving there. I am told a lot of OC's problems come from there. Apparently lots of gang activity. On the other hand I have heard a lot of great things about Snow Hill. Especially the schools. No personal experience, just what I have been told over the years. Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Highball2 View Post
        I would investigate Salisbury very hard before moving there. I am told a lot of OC's problems come from there. Apparently lots of gang activity. On the other hand I have heard a lot of great things about Snow Hill. Especially the schools. No personal experience, just what I have been told over the years. Good Luck!
        I agree about Salisbury. Would definitely check that out; I'm just basing this on the crime reports I read about on some of the eastern shore news sources. My son has a possible internship there this summer, so I would know more about it if he gets this position.

What about Berlin? All you hear about nowadays is what a great place it is to live. We've been spending more time there just to give the beach a break. Really cool town.

Terp: I would be interested in hearing more about your research when you've made a decision. We will be relocating in the next few years and I'm trying to get my wife (Ohio girl), closer to my neck of the woods.

Comment

Originally posted by Jozo View Post
          I agree about Salisbury. Would definitely check that out; I'm just basing this on the crime reports I read about on some of the eastern shore news sources. My son has a possible internship there this summer, so I would know more about it if he gets this position.

What about Berlin? All you hear about nowadays is what a great place it is to live. We've been spending more time there just to give the beach a break. Really cool town.

Terp: I would be interested in hearing more about your research when you've made a decision. We will be relocating in the next few years and I'm trying to get my wife (Ohio girl), closer to my neck of the woods.
          We are definitely avoiding downtown Salisbury, but we do wanna be close to the center of a good Rec & Parks facility, which leads us to Salisbury/Snow Hill region. I've looked at Berlin only a little but would like a little more land for pets/privacy/outdoor expansion and also seems you get a little more for your buck in the Snow Hill or Pocomoke area. But Berlin is not ruled out by any means. Where we live now, we drive 30 minutes or more just to get to practices and sports games and would like to be closer with 3 kids! We are going down on spring break to do some recon on the areas we want to investigate further.

Comment

I have good friends who live in Ocean Pines and their children are 11 and 9. They moved there from Eldersburg Md, and are loving it. Both of their kids are involved with sports , their son plays soccer, their daughter is on a dance squad. And they are busy, busy, busy. They're happy with the school. And they don't have to go to Ocean City or be involved with anything there if they don't want to.
            As for Salisbury, I have friends who live there as well and have been looking to get out for several years now, but can't get enough out of their home to sell it. Drugs, crime, and racial issues are all they talk about and they are definitely afraid to stay since it's been getting worse.
            Maybe even look at Selbyville, De.
            Ask an OC Insider

Comment

Working...
            X