Memorial Weekend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memorial Weekend

My wife and I brought our soon to be six month old for his first trip to Ocean City this past weekend.

First, let's clear the negative out of the way first.

It appears we're in for another summer where there are rules which will not be enforced.

On the Boardwalk Saturday and Sunday, I saw a dogs, vaping, cigarette smoking, and several people walking around with open alcohol containers. As usual, it's a case of people either not knowing the rules or thinking the rules don't apply to them, and a lack of enforcing said rules.

Other than that, we had a great time. Luckily, we were in for the night when the big storm hit on Sunday night.

We enjoyed some great food and service from Thrashers, Boog's, Tony's Pizza, The Dough Roller, and BJ's on the Water.

Not really a negative, but I think it would be cool to see more places in OC / West OC adopt GrubHub. Like I said, we had a baby down, and we didn't want to mess with his sleep schedule. So, we ordered in on Sunday night, but our choices were very limited.

Edit - Also, I tried a kids serving of Fisher's caramel popcorn with an Old Bay dusting, and it was AMAZING!!!
    Last edited by Kds53098; 05-29-2018, 10:23 AM.

I too seen a lot of smoking,vaping,skateboarding,dogs, homeless people.

Comment

Originally posted by kdog2 View Post
      I too seen a lot of smoking,vaping,skateboarding,dogs, homeless people.
      I forgot about the skateboarding. Saw that and bicycles too.

On the smoking, we had our baby down, and we would take frequent breaks from the sun on Saturday. It seemed like whenever we found a shady spot to sit, somebody close by would light up a cig, and we had to move.

Comment

If you're on OC's Facebook page, there's a lady who had her dog on the boardwalk Sunday and was stopped by the police and told her that her dog wasn't welcome. Of course, being FB, she vented, and well, you know where that went. "I'm never going to OC again" type thing. So yes, the police are doing some policing of the dog policy, they're trying. As for the smoking, I was watching the Backshore Brew boardwalk cam and you can see all sorts of violations on there. Even one of their employees stood on camera and smoked a cigarette , then walked across the boards and flicked it over the wall into the sand.
        I have always said the OC needs a dedicated group or force that is strictly for enforcing the boardwalk regulations. But people these days have ZERO respect for any ordinances, the police are always wrong, their individual rights are being violated, etc. We're really going backwards as a society.
        Ask an OC Insider

Comment

Too many people, yes, even adults, feel "entitled." Meaning they think it's okay for them to smoke, walk dogs, bike, etc. where ever & when ever they want. The rules & regulations are for those "other" people. And, being that OC is a tourist destination, the police don't really want to drive people away so sometimes they are a bit laxed on enforcing laws. They don't want OC to get a reputation of being a town where "nothing is legal." If only people would respect the rights of others there really wouldn't be any need for a lot of these laws.

Comment

Originally posted by Z06RL View Post
            If you're on OC's Facebook page, there's a lady who had her dog on the boardwalk Sunday and was stopped by the police and told her that her dog wasn't welcome. Of course, being FB, she vented, and well, you know where that went. "I'm never going to OC again" type thing. So yes, the police are doing some policing of the dog policy, they're trying. As for the smoking, I was watching the Backshore Brew boardwalk cam and you can see all sorts of violations on there. Even one of their employees stood on camera and smoked a cigarette , then walked across the boards and flicked it over the wall into the sand.
            I have always said the OC needs a dedicated group or force that is strictly for enforcing the boardwalk regulations. But people these days have ZERO respect for any ordinances, the police are always wrong, their individual rights are being violated, etc. We're really going backwards as a society.
            So, somebody who doesn't feel the need to follow the rules says they're never coming to Ocean City again? Ocean City should be so lucky.

You and EllAnn hit the nail on the head with the sense of entitlement that plagues today's society.

While walking the Boardwalk on a Holiday weekend, I didn't see much of a police presence. So, some sort of task force, or cadets, or something would be great. I think people already know that the rules aren't heavily enforced, and that's why they violate them on a regular basis.

I think it's amusing how people take to social media and boldly claim that Ocean City is going downhill. It's not an Ocean City problem, it's a society problem.

Comment

Memorial weekend

We were in OC over the memorial day weekend also... Yep... saw dogs on boardwalk, smoking on boardwalk I guess the police cant be everywhere all the time....

All in all was a great weekend,,,,homeless still hanging out by Comfort Station...but they werent doing anything but sitting....

Comment

Originally posted by Kds53098 View Post
                So, somebody who doesn't feel the need to follow the rules says they're never coming to Ocean City again? Ocean City should be so lucky.

You and EllAnn hit the nail on the head with the sense of entitlement that plagues today's society.

While walking the Boardwalk on a Holiday weekend, I didn't see much of a police presence. So, some sort of task force, or cadets, or something would be great. I think people already know that the rules aren't heavily enforced, and that's why they violate them on a regular basis.

I think it's amusing how people take to social media and boldly claim that Ocean City is going downhill. It's not an Ocean City problem, it's a society problem.
                As far as a task force/cadets, I thought we had them. I spoke with a few last year, I think they were dressed in yellow, and seemed to be sort of a "para-police" force that looked for violations, etc. and reported them if there were issues

As far as a OC/vs. society problem, I like to think it's society in general, as more and more, folks seem to feel entitled to bend rules and plead ignorance, etc. Our legal system as a whole has become way too lenient, but that's another discussion.

ocmommom; you mentioned the Caroline St homeless gang. Have they begun the renovations recently voted on? How bad was the comfort station?

Comment

Let's face it. Everything is visible these days. You Tube, FB, Instagram, Snapchat. Do something wrong........it's visible. Do something wrong and the police get involved........it's visible. Police use whatever means necessary to apprehend that person and it's online and everyone cries "police brutality". The police can't win and what is sadly happening is that they are losing more and more clout and respect. People are becoming more anti law, than wanting to live in a law abiding society. And what is the saddest part of this is that if you have ever studied history, the loss of law has brought many many societies down. And it's happening here now. Internet, cell phones, etc. while it has it's positive side, it has a very very bad side as well. I'm honestly glad I won't be around to see what will happen in the next 20 or 30 years.
                  Ask an OC Insider

Comment

Let's face it. Everything is visible these days. You Tube, FB, Instagram, Snapchat. Do something wrong........it's visible. Do something wrong and the police get involved........it's visible. Police use whatever means necessary to apprehend that person and it's online and everyone cries "police brutality". The police can't win and what is sadly happening is that they are losing more and more clout and respect. People are becoming more anti law, than wanting to live in a law abiding society. And what is the saddest part of this is that if you have ever studied history, the loss of law has brought many many societies down. And it's happening here now. Internet, cell phones, etc. while it has it's positive side, it has a very very bad side as well. I'm honestly glad I won't be around to see what will happen in the next 20 or 30 years.
                    My Father, rest his soul, was a brilliant, well read man and always brought out the noted Neitzsche quote about chaos and order.

This is getting off topic from OC, but I suppose any discussion on this board is welcome, so I'll bring this up:

Graduations. More and more people are complaining about behavior from relatives, friends, etc. during the ceremony. My daughter just graduated from HS and the ceremony was meticulously planned for an awesome evening of recognition and awards. TWICE; once from a group of students and later on from the Vice Principal, the crowd was asked not to clap, cheer, etc. after your graduates name was called. Of course, a handful of idiots had to hoop and holler, etc. in clear violation of this simple request. (according to my daughter, she hinted that ALL the students involved were borderline at best and barely made the grades)

Enough ranting

Comment

Any word as to how many people came to OC for the holiday?
                      common sense is not so common

Comment

Have any of you seen the "Madonna" impersonator yet? She / he "dances" in a thong on the boardwalk. The video is on FB in the posts section of the OC Maryland - tourism page. Really, really, really nasty. But if you look at the guy's FB page, he / she has pictures at City Hall with employees, etc. I don't know. I think OC is becoming another Atlantic City any more.
                        Ask an OC Insider

Comment

Have any of you seen the "Madonna" impersonator yet? She / he "dances" in a thong on the boardwalk. The video is on FB in the posts section of the OC Maryland - tourism page. Really, really, really nasty. But if you look at the guy's FB page, he / she has pictures at City Hall with employees, etc. I don't know. I think OC is becoming another Atlantic City any more.
                          I'll have to avoid that one. I've gotten into a habit of boardwalk times, during the summer anyway. Do the daily walk before 9 am, and might end up there later in the evening if we get to a few of our regular places, Shenanigan's, Harrison's, etc. We're at Malibu's for surf stiff a lot, but it really starts to get creepy south of there.

That being said, it is entertaining to get a table outside at Shenanigan's and watch the freak show, but only in moderation.
                          Last edited by Jozo; 06-11-2018, 06:24 AM.

Comment

With all due respect, "Vaping" is just inhaling water vapor (NOT SMOKE), nicotine, and organic flavors. It's no dangerous for others around you than eating a tomato (which contains nicotine). I don't condone smoking, or drinking like a lecherous jerk on the boardwalk, but for God's Sake, people need to calm it down with their PC nonsense. There are worse chemicals coming out of your cars that idle on end as you sit on Coastal Highway.

Comment

Originally posted by WalkingInTheSand View Post
                              With all due respect, "Vaping" is just inhaling water vapor (NOT SMOKE), nicotine, and organic flavors. It's no dangerous for others around you than eating a tomato (which contains nicotine). I don't condone smoking, or drinking like a lecherous jerk on the boardwalk, but for God's Sake, people need to calm it down with their PC nonsense. There are worse chemicals coming out of your cars that idle on end as you sit on Coastal Highway.
                              Well, now it's no cigarettes, marijuana (medical or personal use) and no vaping. That's the rule.
                              Ask an OC Insider

Comment

Working...
                              X