X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello everyone my name is Barry, I

Comment

Comment

It's pretty obvious from my username, but I am Dave and I am from Pittsburgh.

We discovered OCMD pretty late in life mostly because my wife grew up in Jersey so it took us until 1998 to discover the real, the better OC in Maryland! :-)

Once we found OCMD we never looked back. We've been to OC just about every year since '98 and stayed in a lot of places and (as my reviews will attest) we have eaten a lot of food in many OC Restaurants.

Our must-visit restaurant every year is BJ's. We typically go there our first night and our last night and sometimes a night or two in between. We have many "through the years" pictures of our daughter posed in front of the duck crossing sign outside BJ's front door. We certainly do have many other favorites including Coins, Harborside, Liquid Assets and .... the list is long.

Like the others said, it's very hard to pick one OC memory. But if I'm forced to I think I'll go with the little turtle necklace my daughter got at Jolly Roger one of our first visits. They wrote her name on a grain of rice and sealed it inside the turtle. For many years our daughter always brought that necklace along with her on our family vacation. All these years later, she still has that necklace and remembers packing turtle for his annual visit back to Ocean City.

Our daughter grew up (as daughters do), graduated from Notre Dame (hence my avatar), got a great job and moved to Maryland where she met a great young man and recently they married. They'll be joining us in OC this year for their first visit as husband and wife. I think that'll be a pretty special memory too.

Comment

Hi Kevin, Dave, and Barry!
          Ask an OC Insider

Comment

Hi. My name is Dennis and I'm from York, Pa. Started coming to OC for senior week in late 70's and have been coming ever since. I've been a semi LOCAL since 2009. Best memories were teaching my boys how to fish for flounder (now they out fish me). You can find me at Coconuts, Fish Tales, MR Ducks or in the back bay fishing or clamming or on the beach!

Comment

Originally posted by kdog2 View Post
              Hello Kristin,ya'know,I thought this sticky thread would get way more hits than this.....come on people,lighten up,check in,we dont bite.
              Lol yeah, I agree! Oh well. I'm going to keep working on it.

And hello Connie, Mike, Barry, Dave and Dennis! @ new posters: We're (mostly) nice here, I promise.

Congrats to Barry, who is the randomly-selected winner of the Skye Bar gift card! Send me an email at kristin@oceancity.com so I can get your mailing address and whatnot. I sent you a private message on here but if I don't hear back I'll ask our web developer for your email address.

Thank you all for playing, and anyone else can feel free to introduce themselves here regardless! No more giveaways at the moment, but definitely more to come.

Comment

Hi Dennis!
                Congrats Barry!!
                Ask an OC Insider

Comment

Hi everyone. My name is Brad and I live in Dover, Pennsylvania. I made my first visit to Ocean City when I was 2 months old with my mom, dad, brother, grandparents.in July 1974. We always stayed for a week (in a apartment or condo) on the boardwalk because it was easier for me as I'm in a wheelchair (born with Spina Bifida) to get around. Some of my favorite places in OC are Bull On The Beach, Thrasher's, Alaska Stand, Dolles and Marty's Playland. Due to health issues I stopped coming to Ocean City in 2015. My favorite memory is when I won a 25 inch tv at Marty's Playland playing the deuces wild video poker with a winning 5 of kind hand.
                  common sense is not so common

Comment

Hi Brad! I'm on the other end of the state closer to Pittsburgh.
                    Ask an OC Insider

Comment

Greetings everyone! My name is Mike and I currently live in Philadelphia, PA. I am 37 years old and originally from Baltimore, MD. I have been visiting Ocean City my whole life. When I was younger, up until I was around 20, my grandparents always had a place there...OC at first and Ocean Pines in the later years. Since then, I have rented condos, hotels and motels up and down the OC strip and even lived there for a year back in 2015-2016. I had to move back north due to work but miss living there. I still make multiple trips there now with my partner each year.

Some of my favorite memories of OC are from when I was much younger, say 6-10 years old. I loved spending summers with my extended family in OC. My cousins and I loved all of the rides and mini-golf, especially Gold Rush Mini-Golf (which is no longer there). They had bumper boats there and my cousins and I used to get drenched on them. We used to spend time at the townhouse crabbing, fishing and boating off of the pier. We spent many nights in the middle of the cul-de-sac playing frisbee, catch, water balloon fights and such. So many good memories!

There are too many great places to choose as a favorite. Some places that I try to visit each time I'm in town are General's Kitchen, Crabcake Factory, de Lazy Lizard, Seacrets, Lombardi's, The Dough Roller, Dumser's, Marty's Playland, Ember's Island Mini-Golf and most importantly...the beach!! My next trip isn't until Labor Day week this year, which is kind of a bummer but my partner and I have a few other trips already planned for the summer.

It's been nice chatting with all of you over the years and I look forward to chatting with some new members!
                      - Mike

Comment

Hi Mike! Nice to hear your story.
                        Ask an OC Insider

Comment

My name is Ken. I was born and raised in what is now called North Bethesda-we called it Rockville. I've been visiting OC all my life. My father had a night club in OC during the 70s and I spent summers there as a kid mostly roaming the streets. In today's society, my siblings and I (I'm 1 of 6) would have been considered "free-range" kids, haha. When I read posts here on this forum about how issue-free OC was years ago, I chuckle because I was part of those issues. Things just weren't as violent.

Most of my "firsts" were in OC. I guess those would qualify as my memories, lol. I remember going to Playland, getting out of the cars in the haunted house ride on the boardwalk so the car would be empty when it got back down to the attendant, water skiing on the bay and in the ocean, crabbing, clamming with our feet, cleaning the bathrooms at my dad's night club (disgusting), and roaming the boardwalk. I remember riding in the back of a pickup helping my best friend deliver the Beachcomer magazine toall the different places. He worked for the publishing company over the summers.

Also, back then, the "bike lane" was the center of Coastal Highway. The median strip didn't exist. There were turn lanes down the center of Coastal and we just rode our bikes down the middle of the highway. We were in our early teens-crazy huh? We were also taking 17 ft bowriders through the inlet-nuts. I was at DJ Batman's (unofficial) first gig at Bayside Pub (now Buxy's) and my buddies and I were heckling him. Initially, he was going to have us tossed out but eventually he was buying our drinks. We take credit for his subsequent success.

Even though OC has gone through numerous changes over the decades, I still know every inch of it. We own a bayfront condo and couldn't be happier. We're there just about every weekend.

Thanks for reading. Enjoy!
                          Ken

Comment

Originally posted by terp84alum View Post
                            My name is Ken. I was born and raised in what is now called North Bethesda-we called it Rockville. I've been visiting OC all my life. My father had a night club in OC during the 70s and I spent summers there as a kid mostly roaming the streets. In today's society, my siblings and I (I'm 1 of 6) would have been considered "free-range" kids, haha. When I read posts here on this forum about how issue-free OC was years ago, I chuckle because I was part of those issues. Things just weren't as violent.

Most of my "firsts" were in OC. I guess those would qualify as my memories, lol. I remember going to Playland, getting out of the cars in the haunted house ride on the boardwalk so the car would be empty when it got back down to the attendant, water skiing on the bay and in the ocean, crabbing, clamming with our feet, cleaning the bathrooms at my dad's night club (disgusting), and roaming the boardwalk. I remember riding in the back of a pickup helping my best friend deliver the Beachcomer magazine toall the different places. He worked for the publishing company over the summers.

Also, back then, the "bike lane" was the center of Coastal Highway. The median strip didn't exist. There were turn lanes down the center of Coastal and we just rode our bikes down the middle of the highway. We were in our early teens-crazy huh? We were also taking 17 ft bowriders through the inlet-nuts. I was at DJ Batman's (unofficial) first gig at Bayside Pub (now Buxy's) and my buddies and I were heckling him. Initially, he was going to have us tossed out but eventually he was buying our drinks. We take credit for his subsequent success.

Even though OC has gone through numerous changes over the decades, I still know every inch of it. We own a bayfront condo and couldn't be happier. We're there just about every weekend.

Thanks for reading. Enjoy!
                            BAYSIDE PUB! I thought I was the only one who remembered that place. We used to get hammered there, since it was close and no driving. I mentioned that place to Batman a couple of years ago and he got a chuckle out of it.

These days, Mother's is the new hangout. Only one street to cross to get back home

What was your Dad's nightclub?

Comment

Hi. I'm Pete, my wife is Cindy. Originally from Long Island, but we've lived in MD since 77. We live in Gaithersburg, and we come out often to our condo in the Pyramid (9500 coastal Hwy). We've been coming out here from when the kids (now married) were younger and used to stay in the 9400 building. This is a great spot, walking distance to the OC Arts League where I sometimes take classes, Bull on the Beach, Liquid Assets, Acme, Roses, and a 7-11 just next door. I'll sometimes bring my motorcycle down and go riding through the back roads of Delaware. Our favorite spots are Bull on the Beach, Anthony's (great roast beef!!), and Liquid Assets. We also used to frequent The Grove out on Bishopville Rd but not so much anymore.
                              Regards,
                              Pete, Gaithersburg & Ocean City

Comment

Hi Ken, and Pete and Cindy! Nice to hear your stories! Pete, we bought our latest Vette at Criswells in Gaithersburg, so I know right where that part of Md. is.
                                Reading everyone's stories, I feel like a "newbie" since I've only been going to OC since 92. I feel like we all know each other a bit better now. This was a great idea for a thread.
                                Ask an OC Insider

Comment

Working...
                                X