How has "Pay by Plate" been going?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How has "Pay by Plate" been going?

Reaction to pay-by-plate, especially in the Inlet lot? Have there been long lines as kiosks?

Not really a fan of them. Have had them in Harrisburg for a few years - still a wait at them because some people are still unfamiliar with how they work. And kinda feel impelled to stay as long as initially intended, or "eat" what you don't use. But I digress.

Other question, how does it work for grandparents without a smart phone or a bank card?

​​​​​​Just curious to hear how the new system has been working.

I still don't understand it.
    Ask an OC Insider

Comment

I had to park at the inlet for a few hours before my check-in time.I thought it was pretty simple and easy but,I use similar things at work a lot,none exactly like these but very similar. I can see it being a problem for some folks though.A 2 hour wait to leave the lot after the fireworks means a extra 2 hours you (I assume ) have to pay for,remember (I assume )

Comment

I read the report presented to the council on the system. The public works department seems happy with the system, and complaints they are receiving about parking are down from past years.However, note that the public works department does not handle tickets and violations and associated complaints. Overall, the town seems happy with the system.

I used it and found it fairly straightaway if you had used these types of things before. However, I can see how people who have not used these types of systems before might have some trouble with the system. I strongly recommend the app over the kiosk.
        Last edited by OCGuy; 07-17-2018, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Ocguy,the worst time I had with it is simply trying to see the instructions on the screen,i know this sounds petty but,to the some folks it very well could be a handicap,all the money spent on these they could at least put some kind of roof over it.If its raining,and someone goes to get into their purse things ate going to get wet....jus sayin..

Comment

I used it for the first time and had to get someone in the line that had used it in the past to help me out. Not friendly, I would rather pay as I leave. Line is long due to people not knowing hoe to use and not knowing there tag numbers. Go back to old system, it just a mater of time before security issue start appearing.

Comment

You should be using the Parkmobile app.
              Ken

Comment

According to OC Today, it's well-received...

https://www.oceancitytoday.com/news/...e1942a1b5.html

But there was an article recently where business owners were complaining because they felt their patrons were being rushed back after the time they paid for was up.

It's easy when you have the Parkmobile app and you can just add time from there, but I understand that the older crowd is hesitant to use an app for parking. And in that case... Just allocate yourself enough time. It's not really that difficult.

Comment

OP here....Yes, the app is fantastically convenient, and we used it when we made a stop in Bethany too. Just returned from OC, and noted lines of upwards of 20 people at the machines in the early evenings. I was surprised that more folks weren't using the app, especially as most of them stood there looking at their phones.

Comment

Okay, now I'm going to ask the "dumb question." We do not use our cell phones much, so we aren't into apps & such. How does the Pay-by-Plate work for us? We really liked the previous method. Also, does anyone know how it works for handicapped? Under the old system, if you had a handicapped plate or hangtag you didn't have to pay at any time at any of the streetside spaces or lots, except the Inlet lot, it was a bit different there.

Comment

I think it 's pretty darn easy if you ask me. I used all summer so far and no problem.

Comment

The Parkmobile app doesn't always work. The days we tried to use it, the app froze whenever we placed payment information in it. And it froze my entire phone when we tried to link it with PayPal.

I'm really upset about the lack of consideration for people with disabilities on these systems, and I hope someone takes legal action to hold the town accountable. We were traveling with someone whose disability prevented him from being able to push the buttons on the screen. We also saw someone in a wheelchair attempting to read the screen, which was far above her eye level. The "help center' kiosk in the middle of the parking lot was hidden by all the cars and crowds in the lot. Why wouldn't you place helpers where parkers are most likely to see them--at the entrance to the Boardwalk or the beach? Or staff it with more than 2 people on a Saturday afternoon in mid-August? I'd honestly mistaken the crowd for rubberneckers at an emergency situation or something--there must have been 20 people gathered around it.

I like to consider myself a tech savvy Gen Xer who isn't intimidated by technology. I hate to say I scoffed when I heard others complaining about the system, until I was forced to use it after Parkmobile malfunctioned. The rollout of this system in OC this year was inconsiderate at best and negligent at worst. I really hope OC has figured out how to serve people who truly needed assistive technology get the support they need to be able to enjoy the Inlet. And until an iPhone X with a functioning Internet connection on the ocean in a T-storm is given out for free by the city, the "app" ain't gonna cut it as a reasonable accommodation....

Comment

Working...
                        X