Hurricane Florence next week?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane Florence next week?

We've had our vacation book for months now. And just now finding out hurricane Florence may or may not affect the East Coast next weekend. Anyone ever ride out a hurricane in OC? We are coming from Pennsylvania so it's a long drive.

I wouldn't worry about it. Did you post this question on Trip Advisor too? I answered the same question there. If not, then here's my best advice. Pay close attention to the local weather channels like www.wbal.com/weather or www.wmdt.com/weather . Been there twice when OC was evacuated because of hurricanes and OC has one of the best alert systems anywhere. Once we drove back home to PA and found out in the morning that it didn't even rain, so we went back. The second time we waited too long to leave and had to drive through it to get home. We probably would have been fine staying and driving through it was dumb. At most, OC will see one or two days of rain, maybe even heavy rain. You'll most likely see high surf, maybe even waves coming over the walls on the boardwalk and LOTS of blowing sand. But like I said, it's usually just a day or two at most. But then again, it was storm that created the inlet in 1933 so there's always the chance of a big storm going through. Nobody can predict. IF you do decide to ride it out, bring any patio furniture into your condo or hotel room so it doesn't blow, and if your unit has storm shutters, you may need to close them, or the rental agency will do it for you. Keep an eye on the news channels and there is a public access channel where they'll be broadcasting any updates and advisories. If it gets real bad, go into the bathroom or laundry room, whichever room is the most inner room with no windows. If there is a parking garage nearby, try and park your car on an upper floor. I've seen the water come over the dunes and wash out cars parked oceanfront. Not trying to scare you, but to make you aware of what CAN happen.
    Right now, all reports are calling for the storm to hit around North/South Carolina , but that could shift north or south. Either way, you can expect the high surf and wind at the very least. Stay OUT OF THE OCEAN!! Best part is , after the storm passes, go look for seashells because you'll find some good ones!!
    Ask an OC Insider

Comment

My husband & I never did, we always left when a hurricane or bad tropical storm got about a day away. We have a 6 hour drive to get home. But our son did years ago. Hurricane Charlie, maybe 1986. He went to bed in a motel one block from the ocean & woke up the next morning 'oceanfront.' But, he wasn't hurt & his pickup wasn't damaged, so he did okay. I agree with Z06RL, stay alert, listen to the weather reports. If they say evaculate, then evaculate. And don't do anything dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by Z06RL View Post
        I wouldn't worry about it. Did you post this question on Trip Advisor too? I answered the same question there. If not, then here's my best advice. Pay close attention to the local weather channels like www.wbal.com/weather or www.wmdt.com/weather . Been there twice when OC was evacuated because of hurricanes and OC has one of the best alert systems anywhere. Once we drove back home to PA and found out in the morning that it didn't even rain, so we went back. The second time we waited too long to leave and had to drive through it to get home. We probably would have been fine staying and driving through it was dumb. At most, OC will see one or two days of rain, maybe even heavy rain. You'll most likely see high surf, maybe even waves coming over the walls on the boardwalk and LOTS of blowing sand. But like I said, it's usually just a day or two at most. But then again, it was storm that created the inlet in 1933 so there's always the chance of a big storm going through. Nobody can predict. IF you do decide to ride it out, bring any patio furniture into your condo or hotel room so it doesn't blow, and if your unit has storm shutters, you may need to close them, or the rental agency will do it for you. Keep an eye on the news channels and there is a public access channel where they'll be broadcasting any updates and advisories. If it gets real bad, go into the bathroom or laundry room, whichever room is the most inner room with no windows. If there is a parking garage nearby, try and park your car on an upper floor. I've seen the water come over the dunes and wash out cars parked oceanfront. Not trying to scare you, but to make you aware of what CAN happen.
        Right now, all reports are calling for the storm to hit around North/South Carolina , but that could shift north or south. Either way, you can expect the high surf and wind at the very least. Stay OUT OF THE OCEAN!! Best part is , after the storm passes, go look for seashells because you'll find some good ones!!
        Yes I posted there too. It's just that we haven't had a vacation in OC for a long time and the family is really looking forward to this. We'll be in the Quality Inn Boardwalk Ocean Front. Really hoping and praying it passes and misses so we can go and have a great time. Thank you for all your replies

Comment

Nice hotel. I've stayed there a couple times for car shows. Good location. Pretty good free breakfast. I imagine their outdoor pool will be closed. Might be a bit noisy with it being bike week at the inlet, but there will be lots to see and do. As long as the hurricane stays away. Today, the downtown area and north OC are having flooding and a lot of businesses, especially on the bay side of town are closed. And this wasn't the hurricane! But it's pretty normal for OC when strong fronts go through.
          I don't know. This summer's weather has just plain sucked all "summer" We were supposed to do a car show today, but it got cancelled due to rain and cold. COLD! Not even 60 degrees here at 3 in the afternoon!
          I sure hope you and your family get to enjoy your vacation time. Best of luck.
          Ask an OC Insider

Comment

Originally posted by Krislynell View Post
            We've had our vacation book for months now. And just now finding out hurricane Florence may or may not affect the East Coast next weekend. Anyone ever ride out a hurricane in OC? We are coming from Pennsylvania so it's a long drive.
            You might also want to follow some Ocean City related pages on social media for updates. It looks like Florence will have more of an effect south of Ocean City, but just in case, you might want to get tabs on updates.

Comment

Working...
            X