Thanksgiving!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanksgiving!

Trying to generate a little action around here. What's everyone doing Thursday? Hosting or mooching? Any cool or unusual traditions with your families? Post them here along with your plans for Thursday.

And if you're traveling, please be safe.

My dream Thanksgiving would be to have a bonfire on the beach in OC with steamed crabs and Natty Bo. Since there's no way in hell that's happening, we are going to my in-laws home here in Cincinnati. Mostly Germans, so they'll be a lot of beer and also football. They're all big Bengals fans, so I can rub in Sunday's Ravens win over them.

What are you doing?

For us, it's parades, cooking, eating, football. There's only 5 of us for dinner, we'll have a traditional Turkey Day dinner. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, lima beans, corn, cranberry salad, noodles (we're PA Dutch, so it's noodles for all dinners), then, since it's also hubby's birthday, we'll have cake for dessert. Hubby is a Steelers fan, but he'll watch any game that isn't too lopsided. JoZo, I do like your idea of the ideal Thanksgiving meal. Maybe add a few steamed shrimp.

Comment

All the moochers will be at my house but I do enjoy the company.

Comment

I'll be mooching off my grandparents-in-law in Ocean Pines. But I'll at least be bringing sweet potatoes. :-)

Comment

I'm going out to dinner with my mom.
          common sense is not so common

Comment

Will be working at the new to us house trying to get it ready for us to move into it before Christmas so that I can sell the current house very soon. Will probably get Chinese Food

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hall View Post
              Will be working at the new to us house trying to get it ready for us to move into it before Christmas so that I can sell the current house very soon. Will probably get Chinese Food
              Surely you could find turkey take-out somewhere. Chinese on Thanksgiving Day just doesn't seem right. Of course, I'm not very fond of Chinese.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hall View Post
                Will probably get Chinese Food
                If you get a duck in lieu of a turkey be sure to have them chop off the head table side.

Comment

Originally posted by pghDave View Post

If you get a duck in lieu of a turkey be sure to have them chop off the head table side.
                  Yes!, that Christmas Eve marathon can't come fast enough;
                  common sense is not so common

Comment

Yes 24 hours of A Christmas Story...........never gets old.

Bob: White Castle has Turkey Sliders this year; beats Kung Pao Chicken

Comment

Our day will be spent cooking turkey, stuffing, etc. and enjoying the grandkids (and our kids and spouses) . Then the plans are to head to the movie theater in th evening to see Ralph Breaks the Internet and probably a stop at McDonalds afterward for happy meals and then baths and bed for them. Friday the kids get to spend the day with their other grandma and family. Always too much food and not enough time together. I hope everyone has a wonderful day and enjoys God's blessings and are thankful. Happy Thanksgiving to you all.
                      Ask an OC Insider

Comment

Originally posted by EllAnn View Post

Surely you could find turkey take-out somewhere. Chinese on Thanksgiving Day just doesn't seem right. Of course, I'm not very fond of Chinese.
                        Not interested in Turkey Take out. I eat turkey in some form at least 4 days a week. Sometimes twice in the same day. If it isn't Turkey, then it's chicken or fish. About three times a month my body will allow me to have red meat or pork. I'm also not interested in patronizing a business that is open on Thanksgiving that is staffed by people who observe Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is one of only 2 days I have completely off from either of my jobs. Christmas is the other day. Other then that I am working at either job 7 days a week. I even have to do my evening job while on vacation as it's all done by VPN. So, with that being said, I don't want to be part of the reason someone has to work that day.
                        The Chinese in Gettysburg do not celebrate Thanksgiving so my wife and I have made it a tradition to go into town during Thanksgiving and eat at the one Chinese family run restaurant. The last several years, while in the restaurant one of the boro police officers would come in to eat and we have made it a point to invite the officer to eat with us at the table. That has been alot more enjoyable then eating Turkey with a room full of relatives you can't stand to be around!

As for White Castle, sadly the nearest one to me is 125 miles away.

Comment

LOL! I love your statement "a room full of relatives you can't stand to be around". We used to do a big (Italian) get-together for EVERY holiday and honestly, we've both grew beyond tired of them and all their drama. So now it's just us, our kids (2) one spouse, and two grandkids. And that's just perfect for us. Enjoy your Chinese Bob. We have a very good Chinese buffet in our town that we frequent more than any other restaurant around here because it's one of a very few that isn't a chain.
                          Ask an OC Insider

Comment

Here's an interesting stuffing recipe: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...tuffing-recipe

Comment

Thanks Jozo,now I'm looking forward to my first (smoke signal).
                              ​​​​

Comment

Working...
                              X