Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know if any new oceanfront hotels are opening this spring/summer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First,the Ocean Voyager and the Pirates Den are up for sale and will most likely be sold and gone before summer.

Next, I heard that the poll that NY-Md has been quoting has only had 200-300 people replying to it.( I think it's either mentioned on the editorial page of the Dispatch or Ocean City Today)

Finally,the two groups of people staying at the Hilton.How about golfers and young professionals.
    Do you realize that a 22-23 year old college graduate with a computer science degree is making between 50-70k,single,living at home,and driving either an Audi or a BMW and still will come to OC.They'll still hang at Seacrets,eat at McDonalds, and generally make an ass out of themselves for a couple of years.
    Beware of the Carona Cat !!!

Comment

Well BOB now that settles it if the Pirates Den is gone then where will those Hilton guests hang out in evening? Where will they be during Happy Hour?

Guess if the property is sold they can listen to the construction noise and they will more then likely have a view of some more condos. And all for $400 per night.

As far as the number of people who responded to the Dispatch poll.
      Something I picked off the Web.

'What is the sampling error for the poll results?
      Interviews with a scientific sample of 1000 adults can accurately reflect the opinions of more than 185 million American adults. That means interviews attempted with all 185 million adults--if such were possible--would give approximately the same results as a well-conducted survey."

So if we can get some judgement of 185,000,000 Americans with a polling of 1,000 I would have to guess the 200-300 of those who were polled about the developement in Ocean City should provide us with some sense of what people think.

We don't need to ask and poll everyone who visits the area. Nor would that ever be possible.

We will have to see whether your prediction that the Hilton will be full of golfers and 22-23 computer science majors comes to pass.

Comment

In other news, three weeks ago, we launched our first poll on our website, www.mdcoastdispatch.com. The question was simply, “What is your take on development in Ocean City?” The poll we admit is certainly not scientific, but we believe the results were interesting. With about 250 votes registered, here are the results:
        -- 38 percent: Too many condos, not enough businesses.

-- 21 percent: The town is becoming an enclave for the rich.

-- 20 percent: We’re priced out and looking elsewhere.

-- 17 percent: Out with the old, in with the new.

-- 4 percent: It doesn’t bother us, we come for the beach.
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------
        The Dispatch admitted that the poll was non-scientific.
        I think the demographics of the folks who were polled would have a great impact on the results.IE: are they residents,are they visitors,or are they folks just pining for the old times.

Comment

Ocean City is now surrounded by 15 top caliber golf courses! These people need to stay someplace luxurious and expensive. Hence, mucho high-end condo and hotel development.

"Build it and they will come"

Well, that's what happened when all of these superb golf courses were being built in the last 10-15 years.

Comment

Ah, I see OC's new slogan in that statement somewhere:

OC - come for the golf!
            or
            OC - your links to the ocean.

By the way, I don't play golf. As far as happy hour for the upper crusties, isn't the Purple Moose still open?
            Ask an OC Insider

Comment

Right on JJ,
              OC wants to compete with Myrtle Beach.Keep those Baltimore and DC bucks local.Have the same quality of courses without the 8-10 hour drive.

Comment

So all the $1,000,000 condos are for the visiting golfers

"So if we can get some judgement of 185,000,000 Americans with a polling of 1,000 I would have to guess the 200-300 of those who were polled about the developement in Ocean City should provide us with some sense of what people think."

As I suggested the DISPATCH poll should give us "some sense" of what the people think. Reading some of the posts here it seems to agree with the opinions of those who cast a vote in the poll. Where are all the computer
                science graduates with their posts? How about all the golfers who can't wait till the Hilton opens to fill all the available rooms.

I know people who traveled to OC for a golf outing the reviews were not positive.

Having stayed at the Coconut Malorie, The Lighthouse, Edge and the Clarion (Sheraton) some of the higher priced places over the years I never ran into hordes of golfers, computer science 22-23 year olds during my visits.

One last point OC has nothing to do with what is being built. They play no part in the planning or design of the developement. Builders build high end properties because they can realize the most profit on this type of building.
                To suggest that all the condo builders have joined together to build housing for the golfers coming to the area is hard to fathom and even harder to believe or consider. To suggest that the town leaders have some master plan to build expensive housing for golfers and high spending college graduates seemed a little hard to believe when a simple 3 word slogan seems to be a challenge they find hard to handle.

Anyone made reservations at the Hilton yet?

Still waiting.

Comment

Originally posted by NY-MD
                  To suggest that all the condo builders have joined together to build housing for the golfers coming to the area is hard to fathom and even harder to believe or consider. To suggest that the town leaders have some master plan to build expensive housing for golfers and high spending college graduates seemed a little hard to believe when a simple 3 word slogan seems to be a challenge they find hard to handle.
                  The influx of expensive, elite golf courses over the last 10-15 years has brought in more affluent vacationers. Without a doubt, there is a correlation.

My comment regarding the need for golfers to stay in "luxurious and expensive" hotels/condos was tongue-in-cheek. Obviously the increasing cost of hotels/condos is not due to just the increasing numbers of golfers.

Comment

Here's an advertising idea.

Picture this:

A handsome, 30 something executive, male, sitting at his desk in the city surrounded by papers and phones daydreaming and looking off into space. He has one of those little clouds of thought above his head and it's filled with an image of him on a cloudless sunny warm summer day on the 10th green, club in hand.
                    Caption underneath

"Got holes in your head? Come to OC"
                    Ask an OC Insider

Comment

I actually just made reservations at the Hilton for the weekend of Columbus Day. When I travel on business, I typically try to stay at a Hampton Inn, which is a Hilton affiliate, and I earn points toward free hotel nights at Hilton-affiliated hotels. I had enough points saved up to get a free night and we paid $199 for the second night in October, so overall, I thought this was not a bad deal. Many other hotels in town are still around the $150-$175 a night price range, so at this time of year it is a bit more affordable. I still don't know who is going to pay the $400+ a night during the summer.

Comment

nlfissel, I think you made a good choice all around. I did a little non scientific research myself, and from the way it looks to me you picked the very best time to stay at this hotel. It's still a good bit higher than other places,(even in the shoulder months) but october rates seem to be closer to what other hotels are asking at this point.
                        I would never pay $439.00 a night to stay there in the summer, but the fact is, no matter how ridiculous it may seem to me, I guarantee you people will stay there and pay what ever it cost...

Comment

All this talk about golfers

I have read the previous posts about (rich) golfers staying in OC and accomodating them, however, it is a fact that the number of courses have caused problems for the area and the number of golfers the past five years in Ocean City is down. Some of the courses ranked in trade mags and among the tops in the country have fallen off and aren't as widely recognized in ratings. Except, the Links at Lighthouse Sound which is in Bishopville, not OC and will host a reality show for Golf Mag called the St. Joseph Pressure Challenge this spring.

Comment

Got this in the OC online newsletter today:

Hilton Suites Triple Crown
                            Two overnights direct oceanfront suite at the new Hilton Suites Oceanfront in Ocean City. Play 3 premium golf courses, gift certificate for any of the Pro shops, two breakfast/lunch vouchers $545 per person.

Note..it says $545.00 per PERSON, not night!!
                            Also doesn't say that the cost of golf is included. A little better, but still not in my budget (plus I don't golf).
                            Ask an OC Insider

Comment

The Haven

The Haven is open and Breakers Hotel on 3rd street - I think??? they have a very nice indoor pool and I think they are having a roof top pool also, have to check out their website, I think it is breakershoteloc.com??? someone correct me if I am wrong, I always stay at Paradise Plaza in on 9th street, they have big oceanfront rooms, took my 4 year old there and it was great, only downfall is that they do not have an indoor pool, we also stayed at the Holiday Inn Suites on 17th and boardwalk, very family oriented, they have everything, but they are 400 dollars a night, not sure what money range you are looking for, hope this helps you.

OCbaby

Comment

Well

I have 2 small kids- ages 4 and 6. I usually stay at H Inn Suites on 17th. We go 1st week in Sept for lower rates.

This year we have to come in Aug. HI is same price per night. Hilton is new so I am considering paying that per night.

I am coming from CT. Drive 5 hrs b/c kids enjoy the cheesy boardwalk, beach and more importantly, kid friendly pool. I dont care about bars-- I am in bed by 8 with my husband and kids!

I can afford $3000 for 6 nights. Worth it if kids are happy

Comment

Working...
                                X