Grand Hotel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Hotel

I'm seriously considering booking a weekend here in the near future. Has any member here stayed there and what are your impressions? Any warnings?

Thanks.

Re: Grand Hotel

I stayed there in 2005. It was okay, clean, nothing spectacular, kind of a no frills hotel on the boardwalk. Best part was the ocean view.

Comment

My husband and I have stayed there a couple of times. Both times were fine. The rooms were clean and the sheets were changed daily which I really liked. We did try the hotel restaraunt and weren't impressed, especially the breakfast buffet.........cold. So I wouldn't reccommend that. But we enjoyed having the rockers in the lobby next to the boardwalk and the 24 hr. coffee shop was a convenience. We enjoyed stopping there early in the morning for coffee and a doughnut and sitting at their little bistro tables on the boards to watch the early morning activity.

The only real drawback I would say is that the balconies are definitely not private. There is a divider between each room, but it's like a heavy mesh, and yes you can see through it. So if there are people out on their balconies next to you, you won't have the privacy you might want. But to be honest, nobody was ever on their balconies the same time I was so it wasn't an issue for us.

I think you'll be satisfied staying there.
      Ask an OC Insider

Comment

Thanks. We're looking at staying there next month (February) as a weekend getaway. We always celebrate our anniversary about 2 weeks early on this same weekend every year. This may possibly be the last time we can take a trip for a long time due to a major job shake up concerning me.

I was reading the reviews on tripadvisor and I've learned to take those with a grain of salt but I read there was several instances of the fire alarms going off due to people not knowing how to make popcorn correctly in the microwaves. I'm hoping they have that issue solved by now.

As for breakfast, we'll probably hit our favorite place, Happy Jacks.

Comment

I'm a big Happy Jacks fan too! It's like a little Mom and Pop place in the middle of all the madness. Hope you have a good time...... and good weather!
          Ask an OC Insider

Comment

My husband and I stayed here for several nights in December when we came down to see the Winterfest lights. It was a very pleasant stay. Room was spacious and comfortable and the price was great for a Winterfest Special. In summer season I'd perhaps be concerned about noise from the halls and balconies but for an off season trip I have no hesitation to recommend it. OC is great to visit in the winter we think. Enjoy!

Comment

Sigh........

Well, the wife read the trip advisor reviews and to be blunt, it scared her off and she said she doesn't want to stay there. We or I should say, she hasn't found any other hotels/motels in O.C. for that weekend that she would like to stay at in our price range. So, she has picked either Virgina Beach, Newport News or Williamsburg. So, I'm looking at places there until she changes her mind again.

Comment

Hey Bob, it's the off season what do you mean "no other hotels in price range"?

There are good deals all over, especially this time of year. I don't know where she looked but there are, just guessing here, others she isn't aware of. What's the price range and what days? I can tell you where to check out if you want. I just can't imagine there are no deals in that price range, not looking right IMO and can help out.

Comment

Originally posted by lbo

Hey Bob, it's the off season what do you mean "no other hotels in price range"?

There are good deals all over, especially this time of year. I don't know where she looked but there are, just guessing here, others she isn't aware of. What's the price range and what days? I can tell you where to check out if you want. I just can't imagine there are no deals in that price range, not looking right IMO and can help out.
                  You put the quotations around the wrong part of that sentence. The quotations should be around the most important part that said "she would like to stay at". You are fight, we found some deals and in fact we found many in the price range, but there were no others she wanted to stay at within the price range. The price range was $250 for the days of 2/12-2/15. She did find that she wanted to stay at the Hilton on 32nd, but to stay there would eat up most of the trip budget. Anyway, it's a moot point now. I made reservations in Williamsburg for that weekend after she finally found a hotel that would suffice.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

Be careful of what you see on Trip Advisor. I have read these and have learned that while some may be true, the people who write them do not even have to prove that they stayed at the property. I could go on now and write something bad about any hotel I don't like.

I was just looking through this site and see that you can make a reservation here. They also have reviews from people who stayed at the hotels. It even says you can earn more sand dollars by booking here. COOL!

Comment

I have to say I agree with ocguru. Way more people go the extra mile to bad mouth a place then sing it's praises on Trip Adviser or any other site. I mean honestly when you stay at a hotel and all is good you don't generally ask for the manager just to tell em he or she's doing a good job. Same situation with these bad reviews, I personally stayed at a place this past fall that had more negativre then positive reviews on TA, and if you paid me I don't think I could have found anything to complain about. Reviews are good starting points but you need to consider the sorce of the info being posted - some people are miserable all the time no matter where they are or what they are doing.

I have never stayed at the Grand, (stayed many of nights when it was the old stowaway) but I would have a hard time believing it's a dump - in the first place, it's not that old to be run down, it's got a very modern design to it, and they get top dollar for summer rates, with out a lot of vacany year after year. So they must be doing SOMETHING right...

Comment

Most definitely right about Trip Advisor. I never trust that website. I've stayed in places that were given horrible reviews on there and found the rooms to be the total opposite.

Who knows Bob, you may go to Va. Beach and find the hotel that was supposed to be so good was really terrible. I can't believe that there was NOTHING in OC that suited her. Very strange indeed.
                        Ask an OC Insider

Comment

Originally posted by ocguru

Be careful of what you see on Trip Advisor. I have read these and have learned that while some may be true, the people who write them do not even have to prove that they stayed at the property. I could go on now and write something bad about any hotel I don't like.

I was just looking through this site and see that you can make a reservation here. They also have reviews from people who stayed at the hotels. It even says you can earn more sand dollars by booking here. COOL!
                          Agree with your first paragraph, and as for your second paragraph, I think it's a cool feature as well.

Originally posted by DeanM

I have to say I agree with ocguru. Way more people go the extra mile to bad mouth a place then sing it's praises on Trip Adviser or any other site. I mean honestly when you stay at a hotel and all is good you don't generally ask for the manager just to tell em he or she's doing a good job. Same situation with these bad reviews, I personally stayed at a place this past fall that had more negativre then positive reviews on TA, and if you paid me I don't think I could have found anything to complain about. Reviews are good starting points but you need to consider the sorce of the info being posted - some people are miserable all the time no matter where they are or what they are doing.

I have never stayed at the Grand, (stayed many of nights when it was the old stowaway) but I would have a hard time believing it's a dump - in the first place, it's not that old to be run down, it's got a very modern design to it, and they get top dollar for summer rates, with out a lot of vacany year after year. So they must be doing SOMETHING right...
                          Again, I agree about the reviews. I've come to notice this pattern regarding most reviews ranging from a hotel to a PC video card. I think people just like to make a spectacle of complaining whereas people who are satisfied with the product just simply 'move on' and live their life. I'm currently researching dishwashers and I'm not exaggerating when I say the ratio of bad to good reviews is 10 to 1, regardless of the model. On a personal note, what is interesting to me is while the bad reviews of the Grand scared my wife away, they have no effect on what she wants for a dishwasher. She's of the mind that we're getting a Samsung dishwasher simply because it will match our Samsung refridgerator and Samsung Oven/Range even though the Samsung line received one of the worst reviews. Frankly, I'm happy with the 14 year old and 13 year old dishwashing units. They just need to be coaxed along alot.

Originally posted by Z06RL

Most definitely right about Trip Advisor. I never trust that website. I've stayed in places that were given horrible reviews on there and found the rooms to be the total opposite.

Who knows Bob, you may go to Va. Beach and find the hotel that was supposed to be so good was really terrible. I can't believe that there was NOTHING in OC that suited her. Very strange indeed.
                          Z, I have experienced that as well with reviews. We're actually going to Williamsburg, but you are right. I'm actually dreading that will happen with the hotel there. If that happens, I'll have trouble resisting the urge to say "Told you so" That could be hazardous to my health! lol. There was a hotel that suited her and I said 'No'. After being scared off by the bad reviews of the Grand, she decided she wanted to stay at the Hilton. It just simply wasn't in the price range we had originally agreed upon. As for your last sentence, this might shed a little more light on subject. She has prematurely (according to her physician) entered "the change of life". I was told this little 'episode' is just one of many uncharacteristic things that will happen and I need to just deal with it (thanks doc!). I just hope she doesn't change her mind again and want to go somewhere else at the last minute (crossing fingers). Another example is she just decided last week out of the blue that the dog kennel we use and have booked for that weekend is no longer good enough so we found another one and went and checked out their facilities. Thankfully, she liked what she saw and the dogs seemed to like it as well, so we booked that place for them. Once again, I'm crossing my fingers.

Comment

Bob I feel for your wife. I remember when it happened to me. I could be totally irrational. Be patient..........and get her some hormones! lol.

No, seriously! They help so much.
                            Ask an OC Insider

Comment

My family stayed here two years ago and we were very dissapointed. We stayed the middle of July and the hotel was packed. The room was very dirty and the hotel staff was very rude. Tried to go into the pool after a long day on the beach but it was full of guests! The only upside to the hotel is that it's right near Fish Tales and Phillips (my favorite places to eat). After an "accidental" butt grabbing incident i will never stay there again.

Comment

Working...
                              X