Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone else noticed how expensive Ocean City is this summer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone else noticed how expensive Ocean City is this summer?

We live in Kentucky and we have been coming to Ocean City every summer for the past 6 years. We always come the first week of June because the rates are the best and it isn't overly crowded yet. In trying to book our hotel this summer I have noticed all of the places that we normally stay at is so expensive compared to precious years. We normally stay at the Grand and last year that was only 89 a night, this year 139. We have stayed at Days Inn for 85 and this year it is also 139. I don't get it. Exact same room, same week!!

Re: Has anyone else noticed how expensive Ocean City is this ...

Might be something else going in town that week, did the check the weeks around it.

Comment

Well the air show is that weekend....but so was the last 2 years. It usually doesn't go up until that Friday night. And heck last year I didn't even book until about a week before we left. We leave the day before the air show so we don't have to pay those sky high costs and can avoid the crowd.

Comment

Booking the days before is sometime a better option, because they will drop their rates if they have multiple remaining rooms. Air show brings a good crowd, but try a hotel further up it may be a lot less.

Comment

Try the beach plaza on 13th. That is right where the action is and they have a porch.

Comment

I do like the Beach plaza. When I lived in PA that is where I normally stayed, but now I have 2 little girls and they prefer the pool. No pool at the Beach Plaza or I would totally do that! The Carousel is having a great special if you book by the 15th of March, but I really didn't want to stay that far up, but I guess beggers can't be choosers.

Comment

The Carousel is a great place and your girls will love watching and maybe even trying the ice skating. Try to book a room on an upper floor and not facing the ice skating rink. It can get VERY noisy for long hours. Have you considered the Dunes Motel on 27th St. or the Dunes Manor on 29th? Both excellent places and right off the boardwalk.
              Ask an OC Insider

Comment

The place we usually rent (Cori Noel) raised their weekly rate almost $400 this year-no thanks. We got a place right up the street. If its a sign of recovery, I'm ok with some increases. Hap would be our resident expert.
                Ken

Comment

What special is the Carousel having?

Comment

I had to raise my prices this year because my expenses went up. My insurance company raised my rates 2%. My electric went up. Cleaning has gone up. Although rental company hasn't raised their rate, I pay 16% off the top to them. Even with my raised rates, I still believe renting a condo is the best deal in town, especially if you're trying to save money. So if anyone needs a place to stay drop me a note and you can stay at our place.

Comment

No need to tell me about the electric going up. My bill this month was $412!! Imagine that per room for a hotel!
                      Ask an OC Insider

Comment

I've increased the rates on my condo by a little over 2% this year, which I think is reasonable. Then again, we were able to book almost every week this summer already, and it's not even March yet. We normally get fully booked for the summer no earlier than mid-April.

I'm not sure if it is the weather or the economy but when I was in OC for the last 2 weeks of January, and again for President's Day weekend, there were a lot more people there than I normally see in the dead of winter. Hopefully this will continue to be a trend for OC.

It is unfortunate that some rentals/hotels seem to be taking advantage of the uptick in demand and are gouging renters coming to OC for a week or two in the summer. I agree with the sentiment on the boards that $5/gal gas will not drive vacationers away from this destination but there is no doubt that unreasonable increases rental rates will.

Comment

16% rental agent fees is what kills it. You can create a data base with the people that stay at you place, and used social media. Spend a total of 40 hrs creating your pages, and split the 16% in half, make more, and save for others.

Comment

Originally posted by shawniup

16% rental agent fees is what kills it. You can create a data base with the people that stay at you place, and used social media. Spend a total of 40 hrs creating your pages, and split the 16% in half, make more, and save for others.

Or... you can rent it though existing property listing sites like VRBO or HomeAway and pay approx. 2.5% in fees. It is a little more work but it is a major reduction in listing and agency fees.

Comment

Hapnstance, do you rent to people with pets? We have a cat. Just wondering. We would be looking for last week in July.

Comment

Working...
                              X