Opinions on the Carousel Hotel?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on the Carousel Hotel?

Hi, my boyfriend booked us a few nights at the Carousel Hotel. Ive seen an equal amount of good & bad reviews on this place... Is it a nice place to stay? I just realized the boardwalk is far away from it, but is there a 'swimming area' in the ocean nearby? I know that probably sounds stupid but Ive only been there once before, and we stayed in the boardwalk territory. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

I am also wondering if it will be warm down there June 8th-12th, cause its been in the 50's-60's up until now here in PA and I'm worried

Comment

You can check the weather on www.oceancity.com on the left-hand toolbar.
      And it doesn't matter if you are far from the boardwalk. Last year my boyfriend and I stayed at Comfort Inn Gold Coast on 112t street and this year we stayed at the Ramada Limited on 42nd street and you can just drive down the the boardwalk and park in the inlet it's the easiest way I figure because if you park at a meter you run the chance or the time limit running out. Supposedly there are a few free parking places but I have yet to find them.

Comment

If your planning to swim in the ocean during your stay you better plan to bring a insulated wet suit. Ocean water does not normally warm until August. If your pool is outdoor and not heated you will freeze. If it is a crowded week when your down there (Which I don't think it will be)driving that distance from the Carousel to the boardwalk can be a real chore. Traffic can be a nightmare. The first part of June is to risky to plan for warm weather and warm water. Next year plan for late July thru August.

Comment

I went in June last year and the water was like bathwater. I also stayed on 112th street and the traffic was not that bad to get down to the inlet/boardwalk.

Comment

June of last year we had above average temps, and a major league drought. This year we have had major rain fall, below average temps (10-15 degrees Below ave) and only 9 days of sun the month of may. I guranatee that the only water warm enough to swim in will be your bathtub or a heated outdoor pool or a indoor pool.

Comment

Here is my opinion on the Carousel Hotel ; I stayed there about 3 years ago, and it is a VERY BIG hotel. It has alot to offer , BUT HERE IS THE REASON I WILL NEVER GO BACK; For one thing, its to far away from the boardwalk (where all the action is), and we stayed in 1 of the condo rooms for families, oceanfront, and when we looked out our balcony, all we seen was the top of the roof to the rest of the building and listened to air conditioner vents all night instead of the ocean. Also, the walk to the ocean was a trek. I was pooped before we even made it through the dunes that are backed up against the back of the hotel. Too much work for a vacation.

Comment

Wow that sucks... I knew it was quite a ways from the boardwalk but I didnt think it would be far to the ocean. Does anyone know how warm warm water is? Like temperature wise.

Comment

It may be "far away" from the Boardwalk, but you can always take the bus. For $2 the whole day, you ride the bus an unlimited amount of times. It's cheap, and you don't have to worry about parking. Also, when I went in July of last year, the water was warm, after you were in it for a few minutes, like a swimming pool.

Comment

Abethepunk....I posted a reply to your question about water temp before but in case you missed it here is my response. The ocean is going to be very cold. The chesapeake bay is currently 63 degrees, the ocean will be just as cold or colder. Also on the $2.00 all day bus fare, here are the facts. In peak season the buses are packed like a sardine can, I have seen buses so packed it is a hazard. In addition, when they are packed they will not stop to pick you up so you will have to wait for another bus. This could make for a long ride to and from the boardwalk. Some people like to paint a rosy picture but these are the facts.

Comment

AbethePunk,
                      I agree about the buses, I wouldn't ride them if you paid me to. But I feel it is just as easy to drive down to the inlet and park, it is safer in the event that the meter runs out and you get a ticket as when you park on the streets. My fiance and I always park at the inlet and it is easy to drive down to. I was there during peak season last year and it wasn't that bad. Also, my best friend went during senior week last year and she said it was easy to drive down there. But I think the buses are a definite NO GO.

Comment

Thank you all for your posts I just got back, hehe. You're right, the water IS a bit chilly, but I had to swim a bit. It wasn't too bad after I got used to it. Unfortunately, I didn't put my sunscreen on and I resemble a lobster right now. I don't mind the buses too much, but I know they can get really packed. They amuse me sometimes though & I met some cool people on there last time. But this time we just parked at the inlet, which isn't bad at all. $1 an hour Most times it was cheaper than the bus.
                        As for the Carousel (if anyone is going to stay there or is thinking of it), its not bad at all. Ive seen some really bad reviews of this place, but I didn't have a problem. It was clean & tidy, I can't think of anything wrong w/ my experience there. Its just your basic hotel room, but the ice rink, restaurant, snack bars, etc. were all nice. It is far away from the boardwalk, but the ocean is right there & you can just drive or take the bus if need be.
                        Once again thank you everyone for your help & friendly posts! I think I'm going next year, hehe. Just a little later into summer.

Comment

Glad to see you had a good time! We always parked at the inlet. I don't do well on buses - claustrophobia. I will have to check out the Carousel for next year perhaps. We are going later in the summer as well because I am going to college during the summer. We're planning for August of next year. Did you get your piercing?

Comment

I want to go so bad againt this year! But my boyfriend said that we will probably be going next year in July or August. I got my eyebrow pierced!!! I didnt realize how much I had missed it I'm all stocked up now w/ sea salt & dial soap because I'm determined to keep this thing in me for a long time. I didnt get it done at Chat St., I called them Tuesday I think & they said that the piercer would be there Thursday morning (I wanted to get it done right before I left) BUT it turned out that she was coming in late. I got it done at Dimensions, pretty close to Chat St. The guy there was extremely nice & professional & so was the lady that was supposed to do it.

All & all I'm pretty happy w/ all my OC experiences, except for my shoulders resembling melted plastic wrap

Comment

Originally posted by ScuzzyPuppy:
                              I went in June last year and the water was like bathwater. I also stayed on 112th street and the traffic was not that bad to get down to the inlet/boardwalk.
                              Where did you stay on 112th Scuzzy? High Point South/North? Or The Quality Inn on the bay?

My aunt owns a condo at HPS

Adam

Comment

Working...
                              X