Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phillips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Phillips

    Hi Everyone,

    I went to OC this past weekend, and had a fantastic time. I was so excited that when I got there that Phillips was open, the one near 140th street. When I was down in December, all the Phillips restaurants were closed. Right away, I new I would be going to Dinner at Phillips, as this is my favorite restaurant in OC. (The best one is the one on 21st Street). What a disappointment. The food was just horrible. I ordered crab bisque soup. All I could taste in the soup was black pepper. It did not even taste like crab. When I called the waitress over to tell her I did not like the soup, she kept on stirring the soup with this strange look on her face, like what is that?? Needless to say, later that night I got sick. The rest of the food was just so-so, nothing I would go back for. Has anyone else noticed a difference in the way the Phillips restaurants cook their food at the different locations??? To be fair, Phillips did take my soup of my bill, but I'll wait for the 21st Street location to open before I go back to Phillips.

  • #2
    If I were you, I wouldn't be in any big hurry to go to the 21st location either... I've wrote many posts on this forum displaying my dissapointment with Phillips. So at the risk repeating myself let me tell you, that like you I once held that place up as my OC favorite too. I had 3 bad meals (at the 21st location) three years in a row, and this past summer I couldn't even bring myself to go there. trust me, there are a lot of better restaurants to spend your money at than this place....

    Comment


    • #3
      I also have condemned Phillips on many occasions.Stay away.
      Always remember:
      THEIR CRAB MEAT COMES FROM THE FAR EAST AND THEY DO NOT SUPPORT MARYLAND WATERMEN.
      Beware of the Carona Cat !!!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by BALTOBOB View Post
        THEIR CRAB MEAT COMES FROM THE FAR EAST AND THEY DO NOT SUPPORT MARYLAND WATERMEN.


        They don't support Maryland watermen??? That's pretty bad!!!

        We ate there only twice and it was awful. Dean is right, there are plenty of good restaurants to spend your money in, Phillips ranks down there with Paul Revere's in my opinion.

        Comment


        • #5
          The first, and only, time I went to Phillips was at their 21st st location and we walked in, got a whiff of the smell, and walked right back out. It smelled like my basement. Damp and musty. I ate at their other location once and the food wasn't even so so. It was pretty bad. So they've been on my list along with Paul Revere's and Jonah's for places to avoid.
          Ask an OC Insider

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by BALTOBOB View Post
            I also have condemned Phillips on many occasions.Stay away.
            Always remember:
            THEIR CRAB MEAT COMES FROM THE FAR EAST AND THEY DO NOT SUPPORT MARYLAND WATERMEN.
            That is only ONE of the reasons we stay away. The other reason is the quality of the food, or lack thereof. Seems to me as though they are existing on past reputation and the numbers of OC visitors who come from far inland. Those people seldom get to experience really good seafood "back home," so they don't have much to compare with if they go to the AYCE places and/or to Phillips (especailly the buffet, which is also very disappointing at their Baltimore Harborplace location).

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by OCtheBeach.com View Post
              That is only ONE of the reasons we stay away. The other reason is the quality of the food, or lack thereof. Seems to me as though they are existing on past reputation and the numbers of OC visitors who come from far inland. Those people seldom get to experience really good seafood "back home," so they don't have much to compare with if they go to the AYCE places and/or to Phillips (especailly the buffet, which is also very disappointing at their Baltimore Harborplace location).
              True.Just look, their advertising is geared toward folks who are not familier with Maryland seafood.
              For example,They sell "Maryland style "seafood.I think state law prohibits advertising Maryland seafood if it's not local.Also, they refer to the "blue swimming crab" which is native to Asia and is no way the same as a Chesapeake Bay blue crab.
              Beware of the Carona Cat !!!

              Comment


              • #8
                A few people have posted some good reviews on here about the boardwalk location, I've never eaten there, but based on my experience at the 21st, 140th st, and (the worst one of all) the Inner Harbor location. I really couldn't see myself gambling with a night of OC dinning, to give it a try... In my opinion - at one time this was one of the very best restaurants in OC, but over the years they have jumped on every chance they had to cut a corner and save a buck, and it shows. When I was a kid they used to be lined up down the street to get in there,.. nowdays, you can pretty much walk right in off the street and get seated. There IS a reason for this.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Phillips

                  Have tried the Anaapolis city dock location also...twice. Not any better than the others. The only good thing there is the view.
                  bdwheaton

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Ooops...ANNAPOLIS
                    bdwheaton

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Our local grocery store must have done a buy out of Phillip's crab dip. They were selling it for .79cents. I tried it. It was awful. So if you see it in the stores, I'd reccommend not buying it. Glad I didn't spend more.
                      Ask an OC Insider

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Z06RL View Post
                        Our local grocery store must have done a buy out of Phillip's crab dip. They were selling it for .79cents. I tried it. It was awful. So if you see it in the stores, I'd reccommend not buying it. Glad I didn't spend more.
                        Flip over any Phillip's Seafood container and you'll most likely see "Product of Indonesia".
                        Beware of the Carona Cat !!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by BALTOBOB View Post
                          Flip over any Phillip's Seafood container and you'll most likely see "Product of Indonesia".
                          EEEWWWWW! I didn't know any of this stuff about not being Md. crabs. For sure I won't eat there again.
                          Ask an OC Insider

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Z06RL View Post
                            EEEWWWWW! I didn't know any of this stuff about not being Md. crabs. For sure I won't eat there again.
                            Well, I agree with Bob, I think that it is ridiculous that Phillips (of all places) won't support the local fishermen, but on the other hand I wouldn't get to freaked out about where the seafood your eating is coming from. If you went to any local grocery store and looked at the back of the packages, a lot of your fish, shrimp, crab and seafood was taken from places outside of America, and when you eat out you really have no clue where the seafood was harvested - I used that word because a lot of it, (even the stuff coming from the "far east") is farm raised which means it's been fed steriods, growth hormones, and antibiotics... mmm yum...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by BALTOBOB View Post
                              True.Just look, their advertising is geared toward folks who are not familier with Maryland seafood.
                              For example,They sell "Maryland style "seafood.I think state law prohibits advertising Maryland seafood if it's not local.Also, they refer to the "blue swimming crab" which is native to Asia and is no way the same as a Chesapeake Bay blue crab.
                              Dean,
                              It's more about the misrepresentation of a product.
                              Beware of the Carona Cat !!!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X