Simon and Olivers Wood Fired Grill Shut Down

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simon and Olivers Wood Fired Grill Shut Down

The Condo association voted to shut them down after the smoke from the grill billowed into the building on Memorial Day Weekend. So as of right now they are closed pending some legal action. Tough break. Messy situation.
    First Time OC Winter Resident who has way too much time on his hands and a T1 line.

Re: Simon and Olivers Wood Fired Grill Shut Down

It appears the "curse" at that location is still very much alive.

Hope the can get it ironned out.
    Ain't nothin' but somthin' to do.

Comment

Not funny at all. I hope they can work it out.

Comment

Yeah it's unfortunate. The HOA knew it was a wood fired grill, signed off on it and everything was cool. Once the grill was fired up on Friday the HOA freaked out, hassled them and had an emergency meeting Sunday AM trying to close them down for the rest of the weekend. They opened Sunday and Monday but that was it.

Here we have an establishment employing several people, months and months and months of hard work, time and money was invested getting the place place up and running. Special filters for the grill, all the permits and permits to get more permits blah blah blah. Then bam, everything is good to go and a long awaited opening finally here and they had a successful opening weekend.

Condo owners, who visit a couple times a year, don't like the smell throw their weight around and effectively close the place AFTER THEY AGREED to it in the first place. Really makes me sick. Just reinforces my belief that the narcissistic attitude of a few visitors can cripple and effectively destroy the livelyhood of several people with families to support........... all because they don't like the smell of wood burning for the few times a year they visit. Grill doesn't burn 24 hours a day either.

They will re-open. Not sure how they were able to get the City to close them down. If I were Lynette I would sue, and I am not a litigious individual. It really makes me sad for them having to go through that mess and fight the HOA after they already agreed and after they spent all that time remodeling and busting butt to get it up and running. What an emotional roller coaster for them and wish them luck.

I don't think it's the functioning board of the HOA, they agreed, had concerns when it first opened but said ok. Some of the visiting condo owners didn't like the HOA decision and took it upon themselves to have it closed. It's really ashame if you ask me.

Comment

It's a shame they shut them down like that when I'm sure it's something that could be fixed by installing an adequate ventilation system in a few days. I hope they open back up soon, we were really looking forward to trying this place.

Comment

They will re-open soon enough, this weekend actually. They got tripped up on a technicality, taking care of it now, and should be back open tomorrow.

Comment

Thanks for the info lbo. I will definitely check them out when I'm in the area.

Comment

So the HMO can approve a restaurant..then yank a dream away from someone after a Sunday morning meeting..emergency meeting...now that bull@5#7..HMO is a "ship of fools" and that should also take care of your boat naming problem Hapenstance...has a nice ring to it...hehehe.

Comment

HOA=HMO it's been long day..

Comment

That seems like a tough location. I had thought about going to Surfside Susan's a few times, but you can't see it from the road, parking is tricky, and it just seems like an odd set-up. Maybe I'll give Simon and Olivers a try when they get things going again.

Comment

They get going again tomorrow, Tues 6/7/2011.

Comment

Just to set the stories straight... We had a terrific opening over the Memorial Day weekend. We had people stop in 2 and 3 times in a row to have our delicious food. So, 2 sundays ago, there was a normal, annual condo association meeting in which S&O's owner, Lynnette, sat in to hear any issues involving her restaurant. It was brought up that the smell of the wood fired grille was irritating to a handful of people in the association. Lynnette said she would look into different solutions to diffuse the smell coming from the ventilation unit over the wood fired grille. Upon hearing that, the condo association had a vote and the majority was in support of the new business as long as Lynnette holds up her side of the hearing. It is true that, due to a technicality, the city was able to shut us down for a few days. This technicality has been rectified and we are happy to tell all of you that we will be opening on Tuesday, June 7th with a limited menu. We must have this limited menu because we are still in the process of solving the ventilation issue, which should take about a week. We are still offering the best of fresh, local, organic products for you to enjoy in our comfortable atmospere. Feel free to follow all of our progress and any up coming specials and events on Facebook @Simon&Olivers Wood Fired Grille. Thank you for all the support!

Comment

I want wood fired pizza. Will you have everything resolved by the 25th?

Thanks for the update.
                          Ken

Comment

Sorry we didn't make it there over the Memorial Day weekend. I did call for the specials though!!Hopefully when I return in Sept for 2 weeks all will be well. Good Luck to you and hope your restaurant will do well over the summer. We need another fine restaurant uptown and I love wood fired pizza and fish cooked that way too!!

Comment

Yeah. What he said
                              15 Years in Ocean City.....Local Yokel

Comment

Working...
                              X