de Lazy Lizard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: de Lazy Lizard

We'll be at the Party Night on August 3rd.
    Ken

Comment

Tried out the Lizard. Ribs with Cole Slaw and the Waffle Cheese Fries. No complaints here. So it is new. If you know anything about new restaruants, the owner IS always working on improvement. But here in OC when you only have 10 decent weeks of business, you open as soon as you can and work hard and make the improvements as you go along. Noone knows what is behind the opening and why it opens when it does, but this is a tough market and as an owner you have to work each day and make the best of it, please the customer, listen to feedback and keep working out the kinks. The bills and mortgage keeps coming in the winter, so you have to make the best of it in the summer. Hats off to Justin, we are still not out of the recession. If we could all just walk a day in each other's shoes...hmmmmmm
      Tracey Hofman
      Life is a Day at the Beach!

Comment

Interesting reading this thread...I have been spending most of my time in OC recently and not on this blog. Haven't tried De Lazy Lizard yet- want to give them some time to get things ironed out as all new places seem to need this time. I have heard a lot of comments over the past couple of weeks about the place and it sounds like it's going to be a great happy hour location with excellent views- loved BJ's South. Is it true that there is no real shelter from the elements? Such as rain or heat? I asked someone who went and it started to storm and they stated that the staff put plastic over the openings of the open air windows? Guess the hurricane windows will fix that. What about misting fans- do they have those? Also heard that they make the orange crushes with Tang?? This couldn't be true so I will try one myself and report back! Did hear that the entertainment is great!

As with any new place in OC- I am hoping it does well! I am going to try the food but probably not the fish tacos!

Good Luck Lizard- we who love OC are pulling for you!

Comment

I don't know about the Orange Crushes being made with Tang, but you have GOT to try the Creamcicle Crush! It is the best drink that I have ever had in my life! They use some type of cream-flavored vodka and it is delicious in this drink. The Watermelon Crush is funky--they muddle fresh watermelon but it gets stuck in the straw, so I wasn't crazy about that one. Also, not sure about any type of plastic tarps being put down for rain but it would be a good idea if they don't already have them.

Don't try the fish tacos--I won't get them again unless they start putting grilled fish in them and have something more than just a sprinkling of lettuce and tomato in them.

Comment

Sounds good, I will have to try the creamcicle crush! How packed is it on the weekdays? I wonder if they will start some extended happy hours or late-night drink specials to keep the place busy during the week?

I truely hope they make it, but I still stand by my predicition in my previous post.

It's very difficult to make it in the restaurant/bar business in general. It is almost impossible to make it in the restaurant/bar business in a resort town, during a recession with an over-valued, highly leveraged loan (land + building, construction costs).

Comment

de Lazy Lizard, whether getting good or bad reviews, is easily the most talked about topic in here lately. This thread started on 6/28 and has 35 responses in less than two weeks. Must be a slow year in OC!!!!

Comment

As a local that loves to go anywhere by boat, I have really enjoyed my trips to the Lazy Lizard. One thing that stands out from the other waterside restaurants is their additon of a dockmaster!! How nice to have someone there to help you tie up particularly in their spot where you have wind and tide all the time. We found Capt. Kevin to be polite and most helpful, loved how he pointed out where the bathrooms were. What else does a woman want the minute she steps off the boat. Loved the atmosphere, food was good, drinks a little light on the alcohol but they will get there. Really enjoyed it. Heading back this weekend, will now be one of our regular spots.

Comment

I sent a post yesterday but I guess it got lost. Seems like the lizard is still up and down for now but trying to go up which is great. I am surprised the fish tacos are still being made with breaded frozen fish with little content...why? Fish tacos can be a true winner on the menu and easy to prepare, but you have to have fresh fish when you are in OC and in the summer for sure. Tons of places profess to have the best crab cakes but there only a few good places in OC to get truly good fish tacos and all have fresh fish and a good blend of fixings and sauce. We'll be back soon to hopefully an improved experience as we both feel the potential is endless. Justin, I think you need to talk to your patrons again.

Comment

I haven't been back to dLL since I posted last but plan on trying to get there this weekend. I forgot I saw a dockmaster there...that is a nice touch. In Florida at some of the nicer waterfront bars, they have "vallet parkers" to park your boat for you. They tie off boats right next to each other. Of course, you have to climb on other people's boats to get to the bar but no one seems to mind!

If they still are using Mrs. Paul's fish sticks on the fish tacos when I go again, I just might have to say something to the manager. Fishtales and Drummer's Cafe (Atlantic Hotel) both have excellent fish tacos...dLL needs to take lessons from their chefs!! : )

Comment

We arrived in OC on July 10th and after getting settled, I checked out the OC magazines and coupon books as I always do. The de Lazy Lizard coupons and cool looking logo immediately caught my attention. While we don't usually "plan" anything while on vacation, there are some things we definitely do and trying out this place was definitely going to be one of them. I was anxious to take advantage of the Buy One Get One free appetizer coupon and was looking forward to buying yet another cool t-shirt to add to my vast collection. Our opportunity came on Thursday, July 15. Our group consisted of myself, my husband, my 21 year old daughter, my husband's brother and his wife. Upon arrival, we were greeted immediately at the entrance by a very nice guy with a big smile who gave us directions to our seats. We were very lucky to be seated at a picnic table at the very end, right next to the bay with a beautiful sunset on the horizon. Our waitress arrived promptly, greeted us with a smile and took our drink order. Unfortunately, I'm sorry to report that things went downhill from here. We ordered 2 house margaritas (1 on the rocks and 1 frozen), 1 frozen strawberry margarita, Yuengling draft and a Bud Light. Obviously there were no complaints with the beer however, we had to check with the waitress to ensure she didn't accidentally order "virgin" margaritas for us as they seemed to be absent of alcohol. She assured us they were not "virgin" and that she watched the bartender make the drinks with alcohol. We had our doubts. (Letdown #1) Shortly after getting our drinks we placed our order for the appetizers that I was so anxious to use our Buy One Get One free coupons for. We had three coupons so we planned to order three appetizers and get three free. This would allow us to each get our own and one to split among the group. We were quickly advised that we could only use two of the coupons because there was only 5 people and that we would need a sixth person to use the third coupon. There were no restrictions written on the coupons so I was rather surprised by the "rule" but because I didn't want to create an issue, we settled for two. (Letdown #2) Meanwhile we ordered another round of drinks hoping that they would be better. They weren't. They still tasted like "virgins" to us. (Letdown #3) The food arrived promptly and we were anxious to dive into the 2 orders of crab dip and crab balls that we had carefully selected. The crab dip (as mentioned in a previous blog) was runny and definitely light on the crab however it tasted average, at best. It was served with tortilla chips despite being advertised as being served with toasted flatbread. When we ask about the toasted flatbread, the waitress said that "there wasn't any bread and that this was the way they came now". (Letdown #4) The crab balls consisted of four mini crabcakes. They were tasty for sure but not worth the $12 price. (Letdown #5). Whlie we were waiting for our check, I went to check out the t-shirts with the cool looking logo. I was quite surprised to find that the "apparel" store consisted of two small racks with very few items hanging on them in an open area of the main bar surrounded by a bunch of wooden closets. Very different from any other "apparel" store I've ever visited. I was immediately informed that they were sold out of most items and that they had a very limited amount of sizes for the few items that were on display. I would have identified this as Letdown #6 however I realized that perhaps I might not want to provide free advertisement for de Lazy Lizard based on my first experience. When I returned to our table, the check had arrived and was in the process of being paid. I was shocked to hear the total and was convinced that making a trip to de Lazy Lizard was a big mistake. (Letdown #6) If the purpose of the coupons was to draw customers to the restaraunt than I will admit it was a great marketing decision as it worked for me. However, because first impressions are very important, the next step would have been to provide top notch food and drinks so that we would leave with nothing but great things to say and a really cool t-shirt to reinforce our experience. We'll chalk this up as a "Live and Learn" experience that put a big dent in our pocket and barely a dent in our bellies or buzz. We aren't cheap and we don't mind spending big money on good food and drink but this was definitely not case. Will we come again? Unlikely, however everyone deserves a second chance and if significant improvement is made and the reviews become more positive, we may try it again. Plese note, the service and ambience were excellent.

Comment

Larindalle,

Sorry to hear your expreinece was not what you hoped for. Maybe its just part of the growing pains for a new restaurant. Glad to hear that you'd be willing to give them a second chance.

Comment

Oh well, I'm not surprised to read the blog from Larindalee. Many of my own sentiments except now I even more happy that I am a beer drinker and my wife enjoys wine...if they get weak then I know dLL is soon to be gone. I was ready to give it another try this past weekend but my wife actually said we should wait to give them more time; thank you honey you were right again. Weak drinks and average food with average to above average prices is a sure formula for failure. I agree with clana3...Fish Tails serves a very nice and tasty fish taco at a fair price...I get it most times I go. Never had the ones at Drummers but I will try them soon. One more try at dLL in early August will determine if we go back at all; too many other places with good food who try to make the customer's experience a good one. Actually I am quite shocked that the menu does not appear to have picked up since the opening. If it doesn't soon, we will be happy to try it out under new ownership. Has all the makings of a great place to visit by car, foot or boat but without the food up to par you better call in Chef Ramsey...soon.

Comment

Finally made it to OC's Lazy Lizard. Bar was empty, maybe 10 people tops! Burger was ok. Drinks were on the light-side, however the view was awesome!

Comment

Great news for all those who want to try out de Lazy Lizard or come back for another visit.... De Lazy Lizard will be hosting the next Party Night on Tuesday, August 3rd from 4:30-6:30pm. The exclusive special is $1.50 Domestic Drafts! Come dine in the sand and try their fabulous crab cakes and other great food options, or enjoy some drinks at one of the bars overlooking the bay.

As usual we will have great give-aways like OceanCity.com t-shirts, gift certificates to various OC restaurants and activities (like mini golf), and even an Ocean City coupon book to use during your stay here! Not to mention you can sign up to win the grand prize at the end of the summer - a vacation to Ocean City.

Our forum members are our guests of honor so make sure to find Ann if you attend and you will get an OceanCity.com t-shirt!

Comment

Its almost August next week is the White Marlin Open. So I figured time to check out the boards.

So as per my last post I will bullet it so I don't ramble:
                                • Thanks for the comments on the dockmaster, I think he is a wonderful addition.
                                • I have now developed and instituted a corporal punishment plan for bartenders who pour weak drinks. There is no excuse for that. Our drinks are to taste good and be strong.
                                • There is NO TANG in our orange crush. It does kind of look like it though. It must be the oranges we are using. Try our creation the watermelon crush. It is refreshing.The crab dip is a tasters choice, some people love it and some not so much. We have ordered the glass for the main building and the cutains for the other bar. curtains will be here soon. Windows take longer, but rest assured next year air conditioning WOOOOHOOOO.The Fish Tacos: I have never said that I was a fish taco expert, but now I am. I am currently in the hills of WV perfecting what I will call, THE BEST FISH TACO IN THE WORLD. It will be so good that customers will want to pay extra for it. We will be serving it starting August 1st. No more fried fish.

Please note that some of these comments might have a hint of playful sarcasm. (we may not have the best fish tacos in the world, its a big place)

Also, please always feel free to comment. I appreciate all suggestions and I do my best to address them. But, remember our kids and our families read these posts. When people say that we will definately fail and be out of business, it really affects them. Comments like that are juvenile and rediculous. It is a shame that people root for other people to fail. It is not going out of business, it is a strong and successful venture, complaints are part of the process. How many times have you been to a successful chain restaurant and had problems? It happens.

Thanks again hope to see you there soon.

I can be reached directly justin@oclazylizard.com

Comment

Working...
                                X