No announcement yet.

Comments and opinions...please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Holly'sMom;36233 Nothing like a cold beverage, some good food, a table with a sunset view, etc....right?? :-)

[/QUOTE]

Right!
    Here's some other places to ADD to your list of choices (all fit the above requirements)

The Shark - Yes the sunset view is behind glass, but it's some of the best food in OC
    Lobster Shanty - Great food, nice open deck overlooking bay/ marsh.
    Harborside - Fun relaxing atmosphere, awesome fresh seafood chef is just as comfortable cooking upscale as he is manning a deep fryer!
    The Abbey Burger - Nice outdoor seating, and without a doubt THE SINGLE BEST BURGERS in town.
    45st Taphouse- Bar food, but it's bar food done eastern shore style, crab balls ect.

Comment

Dean--we did the Harborside last year and the year before. I like the Crushsicles, very refreshing. I liked the live entertainment while we had dinner on the deck. I will look into your other suggestions....so much to do, so little time!!!

Seashell--we are going Labor Day week this year, but if the weather doesn't cooperate and it looks like, god forbid, bad weather is headed toward OC that week, we will postpone until Sunfest. We have friends going that weekend as well.

Comment

I'm in my early 60's so I might have a different outlook here.
        Have you ever gone to Berlin? It's a lovely place to spend a day. There are so many quirky shops and eateries, a farmer's market, a glass blower shop, and lots more. There's a wonderful little toy shop there that will bring back memories for sure. They have horse and buggy rides sometimes too.

We like the Life Saving Station Museum on the Boardwalk, and the OC Art League on 90th St. (94th?).
        We also enjoy a day trip to Bethany to visit their boardwalk. It's much different than OC's.
        There is a free zoo in Salisbury.
        And as for paddle boarding, you won't look any more silly than anyone else.
        There's also a little musical theater in OC called the OC Jamboree in West OC where you can see a small show. Their schedule is on their website www.ocjam.com

As for meals, personally, I find Fager's dining room too snooty. I prefer their outer room. The food's okay, but nothing to write home about. But then again, I like home cooking and nothing away or fancy tastes right to me.
        We enjoy going to BJ's on the Water on 75th St. and watch the ducks and geese and watch the sunsets. We also enjoy the Captain's TAble on 15th. for a nice quiet meal. Excellent steak.
        Ask an OC Insider

Comment

Z06RL--I love, love, love Berlin! We fit that in to every trip as well! I love the antique shops along with all of the other little places. It is a very quaint town. My mother is an artist and I have given her several photos that I have taken of the main street in Berlin for her to paint me a picture to hang in my living room. We usually make to the Country House every trip as well. I get their catalog in the mail, but it doesn't come close to the actual store. There is also the Country House outlet store right next door, if you are a bargain hunter!

I may suggest that we check out the Bethany Beach boardwalk this year. I like to do something new every year, perhaps that will be it! Thanks for the wonderful suggestions!

Comment

Also check out west OC, Sunset Grill or the Shark. Sunset Grill has a bar upstairs that is beautiful at night, called The Bridge. Bar and tables and also sofas/chairs around a few fireplaces. It has a great view of the marina boats and city lights. Same menu and the food is good.

Macky's has always been my lowest choice -- food is okay but I have always had either bad service or bartenders who were d*@*heads waiting for girls or the nightlife to start. They are the epitome of a tourist trap goofy theme restaurant where nothing is really done all that well. Fish Tales and Lizard food is just okay to me. Unfortunately lots of OC bars are this way. Seems once they find out that alcohol is making their money, the food is second fiddle.

Comment

Originally posted by terrapin05 View Post
              Macky's has always been my lowest choice -- food is okay but I have always had either bad service or bartenders who were d*@*heads waiting for girls or the nightlife to start. They are the epitome of a tourist trap goofy theme restaurant where nothing is really done all that well. Fish Tales and Lizard food is just okay to me. Unfortunately lots of OC bars are this way. Seems once they find out that alcohol is making their money, the food is second fiddle.
              Very true.... Being a boater all my life, I've noticed that all successful restaurants located inside marinas have common traits - casual atmosphere, with simple GOOD food, and large portions of it... Boaters, spend the day out on the water, they don't want to get dressed up to go out, they've already uncured the cost of gasoline, food, beer, ect, before they left the dock in the morning. They don't want to go all the way into bankruptcy, when evening rolls around... they're not looking for steak diane, just some sandwiches or wings will do, AND they don't want to walk away hungry. These outdoor seating boat restaurants in OC do not follow the rules of "boat restaurant 101", basically because they don't have to - the bar makes more more money from 10pm - 2am, than the kitchen brings in all day!

Comment

ya see? They lured me in with their beach tables, palm trees and awesome sunset!! :-) I think I still may give Mackey's a try, just so I can say, been there, tried that. I saw the bar at Sunset Grille last year, perhaps will give it a try this year. I'm just hoping to have 80% satisfaction with our choices of food/drink/atmosphere. Thanks everyone for your feedback!

Comment

As a local, I always notice the same restaurants mentioned over and over here. For something new, try the locals favorite fine dining restaurant, Fresco's. On the bay with great sunset view. Have a drink before or after dinner on the deck next door at Jive. Let me know what you think.

Comment

Thank you McPow. I may try that. If I do, I will let you know what I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X