General's Kitchen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General's Kitchen

Anyone heard anything on General's Kitchen recently? I drove past there in December and it was closed with nothing indicating any movement/relocation plans. I hope they find a place to relocate to in OC...either that or find a way to stay in their current location.

They will not be returning to their present location. I was in there last month and the manager told me the owner pulled the lease (I think he said for a friend that wanted to get into the restaurant business). So someone will be there. He was confident that they would be open at a new location this spring and said they are in the final stages of negotiating the lease, but he could not tell me where that was for confidential reasons. I will keep my eyes open. Love their chipped beef.

Comment

I'd keep your eyes open around the 66th st area....

Comment

Originally posted by ImightKnow View Post
        I'd keep your eyes open around the 66th st area....
        Thanks for the tip!

Comment

When there was discussion of demolishing the hotel, General’s Kitchen moved to its current location on 74th Street in the early 1980s. Previously, it was home to a bank.

Comment

Imightknow....sounds like you DID know...lol. Generals is moving in with Galaxy 66. Interesting move.

Comment

Yes. General's Kitchen will occupy the first floor of Galaxy 66 on 66th St, and Galaxy will be the Skye Bar and upper floors. Not sure how they're going to work that all out (new entrances?) but should be a good location for them. And it should actually draw more people to GK because everyone who goes to Galaxy will find GK and maybe want to try it.
              Ask an OC Insider

Comment

Z....in the Dispatch article it states that it will be a Joint Venture which means that Galaxy 66 may have a piece of General's Kitchen. I don't think 66 offers breakfast....not sure about lunch, so it should be an easy transition. Sounds like a win win.

Comment

No, I know. I just meant that there is a bar on the first floor of Galaxy and you have to go through the first floor past the bar and up the steps to get to the Skye Bar. With General's Kitchen in there, I doubt they want a bar present or want people going through their restaurant to get to the Skye Bar. Just thinking aloud that they may remodel (or maybe already have) to address those two issues.
                  Or could be it's not an issue at all.
                  Ask an OC Insider

Comment

I think there is now actually an exterior entrance to a rear staircase that leads to the Skybar allowing one to get up there without going through the restaurant.

Comment

Hmmmm. I wonder if they will be offering eggs and mimosa's? LOL.

Comment

I lived in OC from 83 to 89. Was the Generals Kitchen where they made some kind of waffle that was smothered with hash browns, bacon, chipped beef and who knows what else?

Comment

If you like General's you'll like Jimmy's Kitchen in Fenwick. I believe that the owner of Jimmy's worked at General's for years.
                          I actually prefer Jimmy's to General's. Parking is better than General's (well their previous location at least), but the wait can be bad in season. I went a couple of weeks ago on a Sunday and there was a wait. Waiting in the summer can be pleasant. But waiting in the winter when it is bitterly cold sucks.

Comment

I visited their new location last week and everything seems business as usual. Food was delicious and came out quick. The place is small but a few tables larger than their previous location. There was a mixture of old school GK and modern bar/club decor. I had a high-top table on the side of the restaurant with a great view of Coastal Hwy. Everything was pretty much the same except for some of the decor and the location. I did notice that they seem to have dropped the "House of Chipped Beef" title from their name. I asked a waitress about it but she didn't really have an answer other than it was probably forgotten due to the rush to get the place open.

Comment

Originally posted by OCMike View Post
                              I visited their new location last week and everything seems business as usual. Food was delicious and came out quick. The place is small but a few tables larger than their previous location. There was a mixture of old school GK and modern bar/club decor. I had a high-top table on the side of the restaurant with a great view of Coastal Hwy. Everything was pretty much the same except for some of the decor and the location. I did notice that they seem to have dropped the "House of Chipped Beef" title from their name. I asked a waitress about it but she didn't really have an answer other than it was probably forgotten due to the rush to get the place open.
                              Maybe they finally realized that they are not that good....

Comment

Working...
                              X