Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jozo's 2017 dining guide!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Jozo's 2017 dining guide!

    Jozo's OC Dining/Bar Favorites: A few of these sites have achieved "favorite" status simply because they're close by, or long time friendship with staff. Still all well worth a visit:

    Hall of Fame
    :Hooper's: A bit overpriced, but you will not find better service in OC. We've been coming here since opening day in the 80's & the owner, management & staff are incredible. Get a table on the deck, great view of OC. AUCE crabs is as good as anywhere, just don't let them fill you up on the Hush Puppies. Stuffed Flounder is awesome & nice portion. I'm a big eater and always clean the plate, but have had to take mine home a few times. If you drink beer, get the souvenir refillable cup. You can re-use it if you return (or forget it like I always do and have accumulated enough to build an igloo).

    Mother's Cantina: AWESOME! Incredible Mexican and great local hangout to watch a game. Only problem is the place is tiny. Always a wait after 4-4:30. They're open year-round. Owner is expanding this year, was thinking about moving to the Pizza Hut across the street, but Buxy bought that. If you like Mexican, everything on the menu is top-notch. Try a Burrito, all good and you will definitely be taking some of it home!

    Shenanigan's: Probably the best people watching spot in OC. Get a booth next to the boards and watch the freak show in July. Really good food and drinks. If you get the "Entertainment" discount booklet, there's usually a Shenanigan's coupon.

    Higgin's: We like the 31st St. location because it's close. AUCE crabs is a pretty good deal and they have an early bird special. Carry-out staff is phenomenal. Tip them well and they will take care of you. Crabs are average sizes, but the shrimp here are always huge. If you are in the area around 3-4:00, the carryout manager is always sorting crabs outside by the deck. he's a great guy and will fill you in on the quality of the day's delivery.

    Anthony's: Do yourself a favor, stop by this place and pick up a carry-out menu. Then you'll need an hour to decide on your selection. I'm not a deli guy, but their hoagies, salads, etc. are incredible and they use high-quality meats/cheeses, etc. They just opened a small bar, which is really nice and a good place to check out an O's game. Carryout booze is overpriced, beer, not too bad. Wish they were open longer in the season.

    Harrison's Harbor Watch: One of the only places we frequent that takes reservations. We walk there sometimes, or you can park free in the parking garage on Baltimore & 2nd St., just get your ticket stamped. Great place if you have young kids and can get a window seat (ask when you call and they usually accommodate) Watching the boats coming through the inlet are a great babysitter after they have done the crayon thing. The seafood pasta in the big pewter kettle is always good. Great raw bar.

    Seacrets: Came here the week it opened in late June of '88 & transitioned from going here in my single, hell-raising days, then with my girlfriend, eventually wife (one of the best wedding gifts we got was a Seacret's VIP Card), pretty soon we were carrying babies here to have lunch. Eventually, one of our kids will probably be working here. Stop in for lunch. Skip the fruit & veggie trays, they're small and overpriced. anything on the entree' menu is fabulous. I honestly think Seacret's pizza is the best in OC.
    Gotta check out Hatmon's palm leaf art, he's family. Looking forward to the new distillery tour on a rainy day.

    BJ's: Another nice place north of us before the traffic gets ugly. If you have kids, they can feed the ducks. Menu is nothing special, but sunset view and service always great. Usually an Entertainment discount coupon here also.

    Greene Turtle: No review needed for this place. A great iconic Maryland place to eat, drink and watch Terps, O's, Ravens. Our problem is we're in between the West O location and the one on 112th St., so Designated Driver, Uber or the Drunk Bus is a necessity for a long game. I just contacted them on their website and suggested they open one in mid-town, which would do great. They replied and said they'd definitely look into it (wish they'd replace Pit & Pub, which I'll get to later

    Coin's: Another locals place with great food. No view, though, but some really good specials and friendly staff/patrons. We have our condo board meeting here. Nice bar if you want to rub elbows with some locals.

    Breakfast:
    Happy Jack's: Great breakfast and food comes really fast. Get there early on weekends.

    The Dunes Manor: Great breakfast and you can be served on their deck. Warning though, if it's a super hot day, the morning sun can be brutal. Lunch and dinner also nice. Their bar on the deck is a great hangout. They serve drinks to go and everyone brings them to the beach, although there are signs everywhere not to. (The wife handed me a margarita one day while I was talking to the SRT; we told him it was lime juice Great Bloody Mary's there also. The Dunes has "Tea Time" every afternoon, I forget the time. You can go for free tea and Wi-Fi and they don't seem to check if you're a registered guest.

    Haven't Tried Yet:

    Martin Fish Co.: This is a seafood market, but they also have a restaurant, near Crab Alley in West O. Was talking to a nice couple from Baltimore last year and they always stop here on their way home for scallops to bring home. Said they're huge and great price. Going to check out the restaurant this year; sounds like a well-kept secret. We'll see.

    Crabs To Go: Just past Home Depot on 50. There was an article about this place in The Dispatch and looks like a good place for carry out if you don't mind the 15-20 minute drive.

    (if you've been to either of the above places, please post your own review)


    In The Doghouse/Hall of SHAME:

    Pit & Pub: Should simply be called "The Pit". Go anywhere else, anywhere.........even Jonah & the Whale or Paul Revere. Or walk across the street to 7-Eleven, get an overcooked hot dog, a 6 pack & eat it on the curb. This long winded review pretty much nails it (first review at top):
    https://www.zomato.com/ocean-city-md...n-city/reviews

    There you go: Happy Dining!
    Last edited by Jozo; 05-03-2017, 06:32 AM.

  • #2
    That is a whole lotta typing and very much appreciated. I don't do Seafood (yea, I know) so I can't comment on many of your choices but I agree whole-heartedly with your Seacrets post. I am probably a little older than you based on the comment that someday your kids will probably work there. I have been going since they opened and now go with my kids and their friends. Hell, I even took my granddaughter there before her first birthday. The point I really wanted to focus on though is their pizza. Whenever the debate opens about the best pizza in OC, I say Seacrets and people look at me like I just grew a second head. I love their pizza and I always order it with jerk chicken on it. Delicious. I never thought I would read anywhere that someone else thought it was the best pizza in OC. Based on that alone.....great post!!

    Comment


    • #3
      You and I like the same places! As for Anthony's, if you haven't tried the smaller location on 15th St, you should. Really good sandwiches and fries and fried chicken. BJ's Teriyaki Chicken is amazing with the fruit salsa. And prime rib sandwiches with grilled mushrooms and onions shouldn't be missed. Shenanigan's has about the best fish and chips I've had anywhere. Harrison's and Coins..............both excellent. Lobster ravioli at Harrison's is my favorite. And we enjoy the steaks and even the pasta at Coins. Nice write up!
      Ask an OC Insider

      Comment


      • #4
        DeMan: If you're not into seafood, most places on the list will accommodate. Try Mother's if you're into Mexican. And yes, I've gotten the same look about Seacret's pizza. It's a nice portion for a small price and worth paying a few extra bucks for shrimp or other extra toppings. The Papa John's near us on 33rd has pretty good pizza & we usually do them for carryout. Believe it or not, 2 pizzas I've never tried are Dough Roller & Tony's. We discovered Grotto's last year and that place is great.

        Z06RL: I heard there was another Anthony's, but didn't know the two places were same owner. Have to give that one a try.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Jozo View Post
          DeMan: If you're not into seafood, most places on the list will accommodate. Try Mother's if you're into Mexican. And yes, I've gotten the same look about Seacret's pizza. It's a nice portion for a small price and worth paying a few extra bucks for shrimp or other extra toppings. The Papa John's near us on 33rd has pretty good pizza & we usually do them for carryout. Believe it or not, 2 pizzas I've never tried are Dough Roller & Tony's. We discovered Grotto's last year and that place is great.

          Z06RL: I heard there was another Anthony's, but didn't know the two places were same owner. Have to give that one a try.

          I honestly don't know if they're the same owner, but I really prefer the 15th St. location. They have a small indoor seating area and tables outside as well. But be warned........a small fry is more than enough for two people. A large will feed a dozen! lol So good.
          Ask an OC Insider

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Z06RL View Post
            I honestly don't know if they're the same owner, but I really prefer the 15th St. location. They have a small indoor seating area and tables outside as well. But be warned........a small fry is more than enough for two people. A large will feed a dozen! lol So good.
            Arthur is the co-owner of the 33rd St location. Great guy; I'll have to ask him that next week............heading east

            Comment


            • #7
              Jozo.....Grotto's is the wife's favorite. I am not the biggest fan of their pizza but I love the rest of their food. I do love Mexican so I will have to try Mother's. I haven't had Mexican at the beach since the 90's. Guido's has also been recommended. Any thoughts?

              Comment


              • #8
                Anthony's

                Both locations are owned by separate families and have 2 completely different menus.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by DeMan View Post
                  Jozo.....Grotto's is the wife's favorite. I am not the biggest fan of their pizza but I love the rest of their food. I do love Mexican so I will have to try Mother's. I haven't had Mexican at the beach since the 90's. Guido's has also been recommended. Any thoughts?
                  Never been to Guido's, but a few of our neighbors have and said it's not that good.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Great write-up, Jozo, thanks.

                    You hit a lot of good spots. A lot of overlap with our favorites in there. Even if one couldn't venture out of the 28-30th street area they would never starve. In fact they'd eat quite well.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Nice review Jozo. I hit just about the same places when I'm in OC to. Anthony's on 33rd is by far the best deli style subs you'll ever have. It's a must stop always (like Fish Tales) just to get the Galley sub and wife likes the Flagship.
                      Anthony's on 16th (different owner) is more of smoked meats like bacon, pulled pork and ribs. They do serve a very good breakfast and their
                      roast beef sandwiches are good.
                      Coins has the best crab cakes I ever tasted and the Green Turtle is an awesome bar.

                      Thanks

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by tfunkhouser View Post
                        Nice review Jozo. I hit just about the same places when I'm in OC to. Anthony's on 33rd is by far the best deli style subs you'll ever have. It's a must stop always (like Fish Tales) just to get the Galley sub and wife likes the Flagship.
                        Anthony's on 16th (different owner) is more of smoked meats like bacon, pulled pork and ribs. They do serve a very good breakfast and their
                        roast beef sandwiches are good.
                        Coins has the best crab cakes I ever tasted and the Green Turtle is an awesome bar.

                        Thanks
                        I may have to check out the other Anthony's. Heading to OC next week

                        Few other places I left off of my list. Haven't been to Dead Freddies or Lazy Lizard yet. We like Harborside and Fish Tales, but haven't been there in a while. Also the Angler near the Drawbridge.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Jozo View Post
                          I may have to check out the other Anthony's. Heading to OC next week

                          Few other places I left off of my list. Haven't been to Dead Freddies or Lazy Lizard yet. We like Harborside and Fish Tales, but haven't been there in a while. Also the Angler near the Drawbridge.
                          Harborside really stepped up their game the last couple years with their service and food. They did something different (not sure if its a new cook or manager) because I leave there very happy with the food and service.

                          I head down in 3 weeks and the Galley Sub is calling my name.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Every year I enjoy breakfast at Raynes Reef in Berlin. I like sitting at the counter and watch it being made. Here my omelette from last May.

                            13346462_10208034310670214_6925245412979427787_n.jpg

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Hooper View Post
                              Every year I enjoy breakfast at Raynes Reef in Berlin. I like sitting at the counter and watch it being made. Here my omelette from last May.

                              [ATTACH]229[/ATTACH]
                              Raynes Reef is way cool! The Co. that installed our HVAC unit comped us a free lunch. Never got around to using it, so did carryout before the coupon expired. Food was great, but the atmosphere in that place is something else. Like walking back in time to Mayberry, Happy Days, or Back to the Future. Really cool joint.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X