The Big Easy on 60

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Big Easy on 60

As of 12/9/18, the Big Easy on 60 is closing permanently to pursue other opportunities, per the Ocean City Cool Facebook page.
    common sense is not so common

Honestly, in the 30 years I've been going to OC, I never once stepped foot in that building. Not even when it was Hall's. But it's sad to see another place close in OC. Maybe instead of keep building condos and hotels they should focus on bringing back some of the charm of old OC, and stop raising prices to the point that average people can't afford anything. Horizons seafood buffet doesn't even include crab legs any more on their buffet. You can get them................for a $13 upcharge bringing the price from $35 to $48. Take that times two or three and it's out of reach for a lot of people. That's just one example. Without coupons and discounts or senior discounts, we can barely afford to go once a year, let alone the 4 or 5 times we used to go. But back to the subject...............it's a shame.
    Ask an OC Insider

Comment

Well said, Z06RL! I do expect to pay more for a meal in OC than here at home, but the difference has become really terrible over the past few years. Honestly, no meal is worth what some of the OC places now charge.

Comment

Ky West closed too. The big restaurants can't make it down there, especially if they try to stay open all year. Two less restaurants can only help the smaller remaining ones.
        Last edited by terp84alum; 12-10-2018, 07:00 AM.
        Ken

Comment

One thing to remember here though is that the "average" person who vacations in OC is only there for one week a year, maybe two if they're lucky. So maybe that first time they go, they'll go to a buffet and maybe a few bars, or try a restaurant on the boardwalk because they're on the boardwalk and that's it. Then the next year, they'll most likely go back to the same buffet (or try another) and then try to go to the same places they went to the year before and are familiar with. With limited budgets, they aren't anxious to try new places and get hit with price shock once they sit down and see the menu. Or they'll just go to places close to where they're staying. That makes it hard for restaurants and businesses without a "gimmick", like Seacrets, or live music or an already established base, to make a go of it in OC. Even my husband and I are guilty of the same thing. We have our usual "go to" places that we enjoy because we know what we already like and since it's only once or maybe twice a year, we want to make sure we go where we know the food is good. As for the buffets, we only go to Ember's off season when they have the senior citizen nights now. None of the other buffets have senior discounts. But even Embers isn't as big of a discount as they used to be. It is what it is. One thing I think we're going to see really take off soon will be a big building and development boom in North OC. New hotels, condos, restaurants, the new laser tag place.......all are coming. They've pretty much developed everywhere below 70th St., only place to go is north. OC definitely is going to find it's going to need affordable NICE lodging for average people though. The new Marriott Aloft Hotel on 45th St. is saying it will be, but we'll have to wait and see come spring. I know our days of traveling 7 hours for a few days at the beach are winding down (hubby is 72 now), but hopefully OC won't outgrow itself and end up losing their families that built the town.
          Ask an OC Insider

Comment

Wow, very sorry to hear about Ky West. We liked that place but I guess it struggled for an identitiy/niche in the OC market.

I have to say I didn

Comment

Dammit ... post once again truncated from IOS browser. grumble. Snarl.

Comment

ANYWAY, as I was saying ....

Wow, very sorry to hear about Ky West. We liked that place but I guess it struggled for an identitiy/niche in the OC market.

I have to say I didn't get the whole "Big Easy" thing ... after all, it is probably cheaper to vacation in the real Big Easy than in OC.

Watching these places come and go makes one really appreciate the restaurantors in OC that have done it right for so many years, and persevered and thrived and help us enjoy our vacations year after year. BJ's. Mackey's, Coins, Harpoon Hannahs -- you know who you are! ;-) . To the next wave of OC restaurants ... get the message ... value, service, location, service, service, service ...

(And admins ... am I the only one to gripe about IOS issues????)

Comment

(Sigh)

and I

Comment

You know you can edit your posts.
                    Ken

Comment

Kirby's Red Onion and Applebees in West OC are gone too. Lots of changes.
                      Ask an OC Insider

Comment

None of the restaurants named in this thread were very good. Ky West has been struggling for years. The Halls got an offer on their property. Applebees? Really? Kirby's Red Onion is really the only shocker but the property owner wouldn't renew their lease and they have another location on 94th.
                        Ken

Comment

I know what you mean about Applebees. When I go to the shore on vacation I'm not looking to eat at a chain, especially one I have at home.
                          Ask an OC Insider

Comment

Kirbys red onion? is that the one on 138th street? or was there another location?

Comment

Kirby's Pub is their other location. The Red Onion was on 137th St, the Pub is on 92nd and the Pub is staying open.
                              Ask an OC Insider

Comment

Working...
                              X