Places to Avoid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Places to Avoid

A forum to share your stories of bad meals or service, to help visitors who are unfamiliar with the restaurants in Ocean City.

I am not picky at all and can stomach just about any buffet but Paul Revere is the most disgusting place that I have ever been. Also..if you are looking for good crabs do not eat at the Mug & Mallet on 2nd street.

Comment

Originally posted by bk18bk88:
      Worst place to eat
      PAUL REVERE SMORGASBORD
      HARPON HANNA'S
      DENNY'S
      Add Shennanigans to WORST, my husband and i ate last year on the deck, the waiter greeted us with "Hey how are ya" took drink order, never told us the specials, took our food order, never came back to check on us until we were done, They were NOT busy at all. meanwhile my daughter and her boyfriend and daughert sat at the next table to us, had a different waiter, who told them the special, gave them light up buttons, checked back with them etc, so when we left we left $1.00 for a tip,, after we left our waiter came to collect his tip and quite loudly stated, "*******S" I am a waitress, I know good and bad service,,, Dont expect a good tip for bad service!!!!!!!!! Wont go there again, food was not all that great either..

Comment

we also ate there, lousy food and service,,wont be back
        Originally posted by traveler:
        Originally posted by Bill R:
        Originally posted by sharsea at 01 Jul 2002 11:54
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Poll Question:
        Don't even bother with the Angler on Talbot Street, bayside. Great view, over priced and awful food. We ate breakfast there this past June. $25.00 later and poor, poor service was too much. We have a condo in OC and eat out on a regular basis, but this was the pits!
        We didn't even have a chance to get out of the car before people told us about their bad experiences here

Comment

the only question i have is what would you rather have in ocean city... Paul Revere or Mcdonalds. now i know they are different kinds of restraunts but they are closer in price then say paul revere and philips or another nice restaraunt. i've said it before and i'll say it again. they don't advertise as a 4 star place they advertise as a cheap means for a family to eat. if you go there expecting a buffet loaded with 30 dollar a plate meals all for the price of 8.99 then i dont think paul revere is the problem. now do i think the food is great"? no i dont! but i do think it is still a value at 8.99

Comment

I would RATHER go to McDonald's than Paul Reveres. The whole place is disgusting..not clean and the food is just horrible!! YUCK!!

Comment

Need to add Connors Cafe on the boardwalk to this bad list,,, It was horrible. bad service, bad food, I even complained, and the manager said I am sorry, wish you has said something sooner, I could have adjusted your bill, DUH, I was still standing there. NEVER AGAIN.
              Originally posted by Erin:
              I would RATHER go to McDonald's than Paul Reveres. The whole place is disgusting..not clean and the food is just horrible!! YUCK!!

Comment

Originally posted by ECWA25:
                Hello!

First of all it is illegal for waitstaff to work in a restaurant and not get an hourly wage. It is not the customer's "job" to cover the waitstaff's salary here in the US.

Whoever told you that was wrong or it is management telling that to their waitstaff trying to screw over unwitting young students (foreign or domestic) who don't know any better.

Gratuity is usually added to a check when there are more than 5 customers at a table. Other than that is is customary to leave 15%, 10% or less if service was poor and 20% or more if service was great.

I know tipping is different overseas than here because I have friends in Europe and Great Britain that tell me when they came to this country they thought that the gratuity was included in their check, because it is where they come from. Hence, sometimes foreigners got a bad rap for being bad tippers. They just didn't know any better.

There are other "bad" reviews of "Jonah & The Whale" on this forum and under "The Jonah & The Whale" forum.

Everyone has a right to their opinion, and it is wrong to say someone is bitter because they don't agree with your opinion.

All of the other reviews were not good, on either forum, for "Jonah & The Whale" so I am glad that at least you had an enjoyable experience there because everyone else who posted about that restaurant did not.

Tipping should be earned....if I am waited on by someone who cares to see if we need more drinks or if our meal is ok and they are friendly then they usually get 20 to 30% for a tip. But if I am waited on by someone who disappears after the meal is served never to be seen again until it is time to collect their tip, they are greatly disappointed. And yes, I have left restaurants and left no tip. Some servers take it for granted that they will be tipped, but the should remember that a tip is OPTIONAL!!!

Comment

Marios. The service is terrible. The waitress we had spoke and understood English very badly. She charged us for items that she shouldn't of had (we got them taken off the bill) and the service was very Slow.
                  The food itself was okay, but not worth the heafty price. You can get a better meal at Outback with definitely better service.

Comment

AVOID Kitty Hawks...the food was very bland took atleast a cup of salt for taste. Then tums after the dinner and the glasses were very dirty.
                    PAUL REVERE--If I wanted a cold meal id get it out of my fridge. And put it in a blender for the same effect.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mistyfuji:
                      Marios. The service is terrible. QUOTE]

Couldn't agree with you more. We thought maybe it was just a bad day for our waiter the first time we went but we've been there after and it was the same thing, different person. Horrible service!!

Comment

I ate at Mario's & I must agree, the food was average & the service as so lousy. It took forever to get anything, and when they served us our meals, we were told there were no baked potatoes. Ten minutes later, when they served us the substitution, they also "found" some baked potatoes. When the check came, they charged us for both, but they did take off the substitution when we complained. They also charged us for a half a glass of milk! I had that taken off, too. It's not my fault they ran out of milk, and then to charge us for it! Also, the salad was very small. It's like they counted every lettuce leaf & throw in a tiny tomatoe wedge & some grated bagged carrots. To top it off, they but like a cup of salad dressing right on top! Yuk! Okay, I've complained enough. You'd be better off going somewhere else...especially since it's a pricey joint, not worth the money.

Comment

Hello everyone.. ..Let me start off with I AM A WAITRESS..we get paid LESS then minimum wage and it is this way at mostly every restruant because the TIP is our wages..The gratuity now for waitresses and the service we provide of waiting on people out eating and being waited on is 18%..18% of whatever your whole bill is.
                          Some people DO think a tip is optional but it isn't...it is expected..Now let me say that if a waitress really gives you VERY bad service she/he should be reported to the manager or owner of the business. I as a waitress think it should be changed that we should be able to add our gratuity to ALL bills.This is our pay for our service and we shouldn't have to beg for it..or run over to a table after people leave and look on dirty tables under plates etc for it. and hope we got what we are suppose to had gotten You have people that come in to the restruants I could give them good service and they still STIFF me.I am giving a service to the customer..I shouldn't have to kiss butt and hope they tip me what I am suppose to be tipped..it is my wages.Waitressing is a very physical and stressful job sometimes and we work just as hard as anyone else.When you (meaning anyone) goes to work you expect when you do your job to be PAID..well we do too..I do a service for you..I expect to be paid..and tipping is how I get paid.Yes I get an hourly wage of $2.30 an hour at one job and $2.50 an hour at my other job(yes I have two jobs).That money we get hourly is for me to take care of my section of the restruant. to keep it clean..to make sure my condiments on my tables are clean and full and to do sidework which consists of many things before I leave,depending on what job I am at.each restruant has alot of the same kinds of sidework some more then others and we are expected to have that done BEFORE we leave for the next person on.My tips are my actual wages.What I live on support my family with pay my bills etc.If you go to a restruant and you receive bad service..you should ask the person waiting on you to see the manager, and you should tell the manager what you didn't like.And tell him that you aren't leaving a tip..and no you shouldn't have to leave a tip becasue you didn't get service..I have had people come in to the restruant and then tell me after eating a meal that I gave them good service but leave me like a dollar or so and tell me that they are short and will catch up to me the next time they come in,,I feel if you can't pay for the service given to you that you shouldn't go out and eat.go to a store buy something to pop in the microwave etc and eat at home..that is sooooo rude...

As always,jerzystar2
                          As always,jerzystar2

Comment

Dear jerzystar2:

I was a little upset to read your post regarding tips. First of all, look up gratuity: in the dictionary..."something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service..."

If you go to website: www.tipping.org you will see what I mean. I feel bad that you do not make a good wage, but at the same time you could probably do better at McDonald's. Most people I know who waitress, do it as a supplement to already earned income. Also, tipping percentages are given at this website and it is 15% of the bill; 20% if it is a 4-Star Restaurant or for large parties. Even when I have had experienced poor service, I have always left 15% and if exceptional I have left more than 20%. I personally have a friend who waitresses and I do realize the dilemmas you face; however, if it were me---I would try to find employment that was more lucrative. You could work at a factory and get paid time and a half and make lots of money! Waitressing is very hard work for what you get paid. I do mean to sound harsh, but just offering the facts. DebiT

Originally posted by jerzystar2:
                            Hello everyone.. ..Let me start off with I AM A WAITRESS..we get paid LESS then minimum wage and it is this way at mostly every restruant because the TIP is our wages..The gratuity now for waitresses and the service we provide of waiting on people out eating and being waited on is 18%..18% of whatever your whole bill is.
                            Some people DO think a tip is optional but it isn't...it is expected..Now let me say that if a waitress really gives you VERY bad service she/he should be reported to the manager or owner of the business. I as a waitress think it should be changed that we should be able to add our gratuity to ALL bills.This is our pay for our service and we shouldn't have to beg for it..or run over to a table after people leave and look on dirty tables under plates etc for it. and hope we got what we are suppose to had gotten You have people that come in to the restruants I could give them good service and they still STIFF me.I am giving a service to the customer..I shouldn't have to kiss butt and hope they tip me what I am suppose to be tipped..it is my wages.Waitressing is a very physical and stressful job sometimes and we work just as hard as anyone else.When you (meaning anyone) goes to work you expect when you do your job to be PAID..well we do too..I do a service for you..I expect to be paid..and tipping is how I get paid.Yes I get an hourly wage of $2.30 an hour at one job and $2.50 an hour at my other job(yes I have two jobs).That money we get hourly is for me to take care of my section of the restruant. to keep it clean..to make sure my condiments on my tables are clean and full and to do sidework which consists of many things before I leave,depending on what job I am at.each restruant has alot of the same kinds of sidework some more then others and we are expected to have that done BEFORE we leave for the next person on.My tips are my actual wages.What I live on support my family with pay my bills etc.If you go to a restruant and you receive bad service..you should ask the person waiting on you to see the manager, and you should tell the manager what you didn't like.And tell him that you aren't leaving a tip..and no you shouldn't have to leave a tip becasue you didn't get service..I have had people come in to the restruant and then tell me after eating a meal that I gave them good service but leave me like a dollar or so and tell me that they are short and will catch up to me the next time they come in,,I feel if you can't pay for the service given to you that you shouldn't go out and eat.go to a store buy something to pop in the microwave etc and eat at home..that is sooooo rude...

As always,jerzystar2

Comment

Tipping

Hello!

Debi I totally agree with you.

I've worked in the restaurant business for 9 years(in 3 different states) and I know tipping is not mandatory nor is it 18% required.

I also know waitresses should not expect to get tipped on the tax amount. Different states have different guidelines for waitstaff minimum wage. My state's rate is $3.80 an hour. OC's rate is $2.80 an hour, last I checked.

I expect a good tip if I do good job and yes you do get stiffed once in a while. You can do the best job and still get a crappy tip. Its the nature of the business.

I think jersey would do better in a different line of work because she sounds a bit bitter about her jobs. Working 2 jobs where you are busting your butt for crap wages is not worth it(been there, done that). Restaurants outside of resort areas and other types of jobs will get you more money and less hassle.

Do waitressing as a side job to earn extra money in addition to a regular job but if you do it to make a living you will end up very stressed out and unhappy.

Trust me....I know.

Comment

Working...
                              X